cancel

Service Desk Client 2008 on Windows 7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Gregory Vitt
Super Collector

Service Desk Client 2008 on Windows 7

We have a handful of users which have found that the Service Desk Client 2008 does not appear to render correctly on their laptops.  when you open history lines, the text fails to display, and that kind of odd issue.  It is only happening on a few machines.  Has anyone else encountered this behavior, and if so, did you find a solution.

We are running Service Desk 4.5.

Thanks,

Greg Vitt

12 REPLIES
Damirche
Solution

Re: Service Desk Client 2008 on Windows 7

Gregory try new SP 37.
Service Desk 4.5 Client 2008 on Windows 7 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) is officially supported since service pack 37.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

I have run Client 2008 on  Windows 7 but have not experienced any cosmetic issues.

I believe that also depends on what Service Pack you are running.  Windows 7 was not a supported platform for Client 2008 until SP37, I believe.

If you are on SP37 and are having rendering problems, your best shot is to identify what the roles or PCs of those users have in common (explicit OS and Java versions) and what sets them aside from the users who are not affected.

Once you manage to replicate the same behavior at will, chances are HP will be able to do it, too.

Kudos for guidance are welcome!

The Pike

Gregory Vitt
Super Collector

Thanks,

I was aware of the lack of support for the Service Desk Client 2008 on Windows 7 32 and 64 bit until SP 37 came out a month or so ago.

We are actually on SP 23, and we are not going to upgrade to SP 37.  We are starting a project to replace Service Desk with Service Manager 9.30 shortly after Service Manager 9.30 becomes available, and it just doesn't make sense to go to the trouble of upgrading Service Packs with the timelines we have.

I am curious to find out if anyone is having this problem that is running SP 37 and Windows 7 though.

By the way, we have found that the Service Desk Client 2008 runs on most Windows 7 32 and 64 bit machines just fine, but we do have a handful of users who do have rendering problems.  As old laptops went off lease new laptop builds were adopted that had the Windows 7, 64 bit Profession edition installed  on them, and we were not given an opportunity to test it and veto the deployement of Win 7 laptops or postpone its introduction, so we just had to the best we could.  The new laptops started coming to end users in the fall, well before SP 37 was available.

All of the impacted users are either developers or pilot users with a LOT of software loaded up.   I personally suspect the real issue is some sort of software conflict, but since we aren't going to SP 37 we won't be able to test that in order to find out. 

I personally have a Windows 7 64 bit machine that runs the Service Desk Client 2008 just fine.

Thank you both for your contributions!

Regards,

Greg

Jebastin
Acclaimed Contributor

All HP employees,

Please have a quick look @

http://blogs.hp.com/jebastin/2011/06/24/8/

DJWA
Acclaimed Contributor

Is there a reason you are not running SD Client 4.5 on windows 7(x32 or x64 bit). I use it daily with no issues on win 7 x64. The advantages over the 2008 client are too numerous to mention, but the biggest benefit I have is the reports render as designed. Once you figure out which specific version of MS JVM you need its all plain sailing from there.

Axel Jaskulski
Regular Collector

We're exactly facing the same issue - and the solution provided by now doesn't seem to work.

We updated the service desk application server & database to SP38 - but the rendering issue is still there for a hand full of people.

Is there any more knowledge about this issue - i heard that Win7 -64Bit - SP1 could be the root cause ?

Does any one know if this is correct ?

Gregory Vitt
Super Collector

Thanks for your response.

Yes the reason we stopped using the SD 4.5 Client on Windows 7 is people were having serious problems with getting the client to run properly on Windows 7, whether it was 32 bit or 64 bit.  That is when we started searching for solutions.   I believe the real problem may lie in that most of the users that have this problem are considered "pilot" users or "advanced" users, and they have a lot a different required applications installed.  Some of these other applications require different java plugins in order to work properly, but I have been unable to prove it as I simply do not have the time or the spare hardware and licenses needed to build out a "test" laptop and, load the client, test it.  Load another piece of software, test the client, etc, in order to isolate the problem.

Jaak Kõivistik
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

in our company we noticed that if Logitech Setpoint is installed, then SD starts to show blank fields. Try to uninstall this software (i know if you have fancy mouse then it`s quite pointless to use it without setpoint), clear Client 2008 cache and try then. 

Axel Jaskulski
Regular Collector

I guess we've found the root cause - it seems that there are some 'too old eclipse java classes' in the 2008 client installation files which cause the display errors on windows 7 machines (also 32Bit). After exchanging those java classes, the errors are gone.

We followed the following instructions ..

1. stop Client2008

2. rename the following files Folder

-> C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\Client 2008\plugins

01/23/2008 04:05 PM  1,997,851 org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86_3.3.0.v3346.jar

01/23/2008 04:05 PM 14,592 org.eclipse.swt_3.3.0.v3346.jar

3. put in the attached java class files into this folder (newer Versionen from Eclipse 3.6x)                

org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86_3.6.1.v3655c.jar

org.eclipse.swt_3.6.1.v3655c.jar

4. start Client

Rick Dowd
Acclaimed Contributor

Alex,  this worked!!!  I've been searching for this issue for a long time and appreciate your efforts!  How did you manage to find this?

Good work!!

richccl2013
Acclaimed Contributor

Dear Sir

i encountered this problem, i tried to fix it by your method, however,it still has problem, the error message displayed again.

please tell me any soulation. thanks

DrFoul
Frequent Visitor

Dear Richccl2013,

The thread above is about installing the Eclipse Client 2008, and such that the forms and fields are displayed correctly. There are no error messages mentioned.

When you see some error message, please search the forum and support knowledge base for keywords from that error message, and if you cannot find it, then feel free to open a new topic.

Please include some error keywords in the subject.

Then in the topic body add which OS and SD versions you have (more details means more response),

and add a description of what you do before the error message appears (actual result vs. expected result).

HPE Software Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please mark it as an accepted solution. Kudos are welcome.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event