The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk 7.51 Banner Notification Excecution

Highlighted
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Service Desk 7.51 Banner Notification Excecution

Hello,

I have installed HPOV Service Desk 7.51 on windows 2003 platform. I have created a Database Rule which will excecute banner.exe on the client PC when it matches the rule Status = Assignment.

The rule is trigger on the client PC, I can see banner.exe running from task manager of client PC.

But nothing POP-Ups on the client monitor screen...

Can you please let me know what could be the problem.

Note that client has logged in as his own user name password using domain authentication.

Waiting for your positive reply.

Let me know if you any more information to resolve the issue...

Regards
NankaHatela

16 REPLIES
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Re: Service Desk 7.51 Banner Notification Excecution

Opps,

Sorry its SD 5.1 ....
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,
Is your SD Agent running?

Rgds,
Michel
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your prompt reply,

Yes the Agent is running,

C:\>ovc -status
ovcd OV Control CORE (3780) Running
ovbbccb OV Communication Broker CORE (1264) Running
ovobsag OV Object Server Agent OBS (580) Running

According to SD 5.1 documents "ovobsag" OV Object Server Agent is the service desk Agent process which is resposible for SD Agent Task.

Regards
NankaHatela
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hi NankaHatela,

Could you send a your rule definition?

Rgds,
Michel
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michel,

Below is the DB Rule, Also please find the attatchment snapshot...

When service call is created or modified
where Status (*) equals Assigned

Banner (Command Exec Action) , Banner Notification on Assignment, Host: cpu6374, Command line: c:\banner.exe, Parameters: /red [ID]

Note that i am able to see banner.exe running on the task manager of the client PC, when ever it matchs the DB rule.

Regards
NankaHatela
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,

Why is Banner.exe on the C:\ ?
Have you tried [Assignment;To person;Account;Host] in the Host line

And in the command line the real banner.exe Path ...\OpenView\ServicDesk\Agent\bin\banner.exe

I've tried on my laptop and it works... but everything is installed Server + Clients. I've a doubt if SD Agent has to be installed on client as well...

Rgds,
Michel

Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hi NankaHatela,

have you checked your Server log file.
I've made some other tests and get some entries in the log. In my case:
Mon, 06/11/2006 10:25:07 Rule: TEST_SYSTEMRed Banner High Prio (Command exec action) Agent: [Assignment;To person;Account;Host]: not a valid host.

Could you please have a look on your server log and tell me if you find an entry concerning the banner DB Rule?

Rdgs,
Michel
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Micheal,

During Service Desk Agent 5.1 installation it does not create the directory ....\servicedesk\Agent\bin\

Are you using Service Desk 5.1 on your laptop ?? because when we were using service desk 4.5 it was working fine.

I also tried using [Assignment;To person;Account;Host] where i related the person with the account name and the account name with the client host name, but still it does not work.

I get the same error message as you got it..below is the error message
Nov 6, 2006 1:17:09 PM; SEVERE; Unknown host [Assignment;To Person;Account;Host] for action. Exception java.net.UnknownHostException: Assignment;To Person;Account;Host: Assignment;To Person;Account;Host
Nov 6, 2006 1:17:09 PM; SEVERE; Rule: Banner Notification Action: Banner (Command Exec Action) Agent: [Assignment;To Person;Account;Host]: not a valid host.

Regards
Nanka

Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hello NankaHatela,

For the moment I do not have any SD 5.1 machine available... :o/ But this shouldn't be that different...
I've checked 5.1 documentation and did not see anything special about this issue.

Have you installed SD Agent on the client workstation? If not try this and call the banner.exe through the SD Agent path.

I will try to get a SD 5.1 to make some tests...

Rdgs,
Michel
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Micheal,

On the client workstation i have install SD Client & SD Agent

Also I tried running the banner.exe from the openview execution path C:\Program Files\HP OpenView\bin\banner.exe because SD 5.1 Agent installation does not create the full path as discussed before...

I tried both the options
1. [Assignment;To person;Account;Host]

If i try with 1st option i get the below error message
Nov 6, 2006 1:17:09 PM; SEVERE; Unknown host [Assignment;To Person;Account;Host] for action. Exception java.net.UnknownHostException: Assignment;To Person;Account;Host: Assignment;To Person;Account;Host
Nov 6, 2006 1:17:09 PM; SEVERE; Rule: Banner Notification Action: Banner (Command Exec Action) Agent: [Assignment;To Person;Account;Host]: not a valid host.

If i try with 2nd option i can see banner.exe running on the task manager of the click workstation.

But still it does not work.

Let me know if you need any more information to resolve the issue.

Regards
Nanka

Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Ok,

have you tried to execute banner through MS-DOS Command Prompt.
What happen?

Try on Command Prompt: banner /green HELLO WORLD. [On the right Folder of course]

Do you see the banner? IF not. This is not an HPOV SD issue. If yes... need to investigate further.

;o)

By the way it's Michel and not Michael! ;o)
Rdgs.
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michel,

If I run the banner.exe on the command line it works fine on the client workstation,

I get a pop-ups green banner scrolling with HELLO WORLD..

Please HELP me in resolving this issue..I have tried all the possible option from my end.

Regards
Nanka
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Could you just tell me on which environement you work: WXP, W2k ... I mean for the client.

What happen when you press the button [Switch To] when you see the Banner running in your Task Manager. And what about [Alt]+[Tab]? Did Banner appear...

I've no further idea till I've not installed a new SD 5.1 environement...

Rgds,
Michel
NankaHatela
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michel,

SD Agent and Client is running on WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL.

SD Server 5.1 is running on Windows 2003 Standard Edition

I am able to see the process banner.exe in the process TAB of task manager on the client workstation. Only application TAB has the Switch-to button, but the process TAB does not have the Switch-To button.

I tried to execute banner.exe on SD server based on the DB rule, but the same result, it appers in the task manager, but the banner does not pop-ups.

Let me know once you have installed the SD 5.1 on your PC. So that we can check it out.

Regards
Nanka

Ivan Golopyatin
Acclaimed Contributor

Hello,

This known problem!
look this
http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=QXCR1000354300

This problem not yet resolve!!!
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor