Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Desk 5.1 Oracle backup/restore

Highlighted
Daniel T Walmsl
Trusted Contributor.

Service Desk 5.1 Oracle backup/restore

Hi

I have taken a full database backup of a SD 5.1 install from one location and when I import to identical installation at another location the data is missing. All System administrative configurations are accessible (users, roles, etc...). No Workspaces are visible or accessible. The only difference is the oracle database name is orcl from backup location and sd at the restore location. Is there a environment variable that needs to be altered to point to the different oracle home location?

Thanks in Advance.
8 REPLIES
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Desk 5.1 Oracle backup/restore

Hi Daniel,

No backup and restore should work, it might be license related. Is the instant on license still in the database?

If so take the following steps;

1. stop SD with ovc -kill
2. go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hewlett-Packard\data and edit licfile.txt and remove the line with the instant on licenses.
3.Then go into the database as the sd db user and run command to clear rep_licenses. like 'delete from rep_licenses'.
4.Than start everything again.

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Daniel T Walmsl
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Mark

I worked through all your steps and was able to install 40 concurrent lic, but I still cannot see any workspaces or data.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Dan
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Try removing the server cache. This helped me once when I had this error but not the second time when I had this error.
John v_1
Contributor.

Hi

I am new to SD and SM7 but I am an Oracle DBA

So if you are talking about an Oracle backup, can I ask a few questions

By export do you actually mean an Oracle export and import? or are you refering to something else?

If you mean Oracle exp/imp then what version DB are you using? When you did the export did you do via command line or GUI? What options did you use. Have you looked at the import log ( or export log ) to see if there are any error? Did you export/import with "rows=n"? That would cause you to loose all data.

If you did a database clone what kind of back did you do to clone?

Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Daniel,

In my experience its much easier to take a clone of the production database and drop it over another instance, this way you have an exact copy of the schema/indexes etc...
Are your application tiers identical? are they at the same Service Pack level?

Have you pointed your application server to this new database name via the server settings editor?

Jay
Daniel T Walmsl
Trusted Contributor.

Hi All

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions.

I have cleared the server cache as Jas has suggested. No luck.

John V

The answers to your questions are,

We did a command line export of the db using sql default options. No â rows=nâ We can see the data using sql queries of the users tables, but cannot see the data in SD.

Jay

Application tiers are identical using SD 5.1 same SP level

Server settings are pointing to the correct db because we can see all the system administration configurations, just no data.

Thanks
Again

Dan
John v_1
Contributor.

What version of DB?

What do you mean by "sql default options"

Did you recompile invalid objects after import.

Do you keep and view logs of the export and import? If so are there any errors, besides those of invalid objects that need compiling.

It is faster to clone via a copy rather than export/import. However you do get a nice defragmented database when using exp/imp
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Daniel, Try this but no guarantee as its from a friend and I have never tried it myself. He thinks its a sync issue due to the restore.

1) Stop all applications and database;
2) Rename the licfile.txt;
3) Restart database
4) Restart application
5) File should be recreated from the db and now be in sync.