Service Desk 4.5 SP20 : Display login name on the on the main screen

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Kashif Masood_1
Regular Collector

Service Desk 4.5 SP20 : Display login name on the on the main screen

Hello,

Q1. We would like to know if possible to display the user login name on the main screen after a user log into SD client. Currently the user has to point the mouse in the right bottom corner and the respective login name is displayed, however, is it possible to permanantly display the current logged in user name on the main screen of the user client.

Q2. When a user performs an advance search he has to press the tab key until "Find Now" is reached, is it possible to perform a search once a criteria in entered by pressing "carriage return"

Thanks in advance,
15 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Service Desk 4.5 SP20 : Display login name on the on the main screen

Hello Kashif,

About Q1
You can do something limited, have a look at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1064188

About Q2
You can't do much. Pressing enter gives focus to the next field and I don't think that can be changed.
menes fhtagn
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
A1.
Enought add to the end of file sd_client.ini text "/profile=%USERNAME%" .

Vasily
Caroline Kraaij
Super Collector
Solution

Hi,

Q 2: After you entered your search criteria press -N simultaneously and the search will be performed. If you press -S you blank all fields for a New Search.

Bye,

Caroline

Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Vasily,

Is there a way to have SD display the CURRENT USER in the title bar, in the same way it displays %USERNAME% ?

By this I mean the HPOV logged in user.
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
Are you try my recomendations?

Vasili
Kashif Masood_1
Regular Collector

Hello,

I tried the recommendation, however, it did'nt worked. %USERNAME% keyword just appears on the top left of my screen.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Kashif,

You must add /profile=%USERNAME% without enclosing it into quotes. Just copy it as I wrote it here and paste it at the end of your sd_client.ini. Have in mind however that this will display the user name and NOT the full name.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

General, the syntax is /profile=%SYSTEMVARIABLE_1%%SYSTEMVARIABLE_2%...
You can see the windows system variables by typing "set" at the command line. So, what you display on the title bar is information coming from windows and NOT from service desk.

Thus if your user logged in windows as "user1" and logged in service desk as "user2" "user1" will be displayed in the title bar and not "user2"

Unfortunately, though you can use OS variables enclosed in %% you cannot use SD variables enclosed in $$ as in UI/DB rules.
menes fhtagn
Kashif Masood_1
Regular Collector

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response. I am still facing some issue. Please refer to the attachment. After adding the /profile=%USERNAME% ( without quotes ) I am receiving an error message.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Kashif,

Make sure that there is a space character between com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole and /profile=%USERNAME% and they are on the same line.
menes fhtagn
Kashif Masood_1
Regular Collector

George,

Thanks for being patient with me. The problem is still there i.e. now I am able to login, however, the %USERNAME% is still not getting translated into the value, ( I also tried to verify from the windows environment "set" command and that is showing my login id i.e. USERNAME=ksadiq ) Attach is the screen shot of the SD client after the login. I have put a space and added the /profile=%USERNAME% in the ini file.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Kashif,

Please post your sd_client.ini as attachment. What version of OVSD are you running? Since %OS_VARIABLES% first introduced in SP7 maybe this hack works on SP7 or later.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Forget the question about your version!!! Just post sd_client.ini config file.
menes fhtagn
Kashif Masood_1
Regular Collector

Hello George,

Please find the sd_client.ini attached with the response.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Kashif,

That's very weird. Using your ini file sd expands %USERNAME% to my username.

Please open the shortcut pointing to client (Either on desktop or on startmenu). Does it have start-in where SD is installed ?
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event