Did you mean: 

Service Call restrict fields

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

Service Call restrict fields

I would like to restrict certain users from assigning service calls to another person.

If I go the Administrators Console, select security, select access, select my role, highlight Service Call, click advanced, and change Assignment to be "view" it allows me to change it, but when I login with a user assigned to that role I can still assign the ticket to a person or workgroup. Anything ideas as to what I am missing. Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES
FXCISD
Collector

Re: Service Call restrict fields

Are you trying to restrict Service Pages user or SD Accounts user?

If SP user then there is Service Pages role which needs to be changed.

If SD account user then the respective role has to be modified. Also verify all the included roles for the role.

Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

The other thing to look out for is if the user is assigned any other roles. Effectiveness rights are the result of logically ORing the rights of all roles assigned.

-Josh
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

They are SD accounts users. I created a test user and assigned only that role to that user and the user still has fill access to that field.
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

They are SD accounts users. I created a test user and assigned only that role to that user and the user still has full access to that field.
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor

I'm confused on how your process works. If a call is assigned to a person and they can't solve it, how are they supposed to get it reassigned if they can't edit the Assignment fields?
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

I am setting this up for one particular workgroup. The calls all come in assigned to the workgroup. The manager wants to be the only one able to assign the call to the individual members of the workgroup. If they can't solve it and it needs to be reassigned, they would have to contact the manager to reassign it to the appropriate person.

So, I have two roles created, DBA and DBA_Manager. I'm trying to restrict that field for anyone who has the role DBA.
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

What happens if no DBA is able to resolve it? Who should have the rights to assign the ticket to someone else?

If the answer is that no DBA can change any assignment, then just give the DBA role View rights for the assignment, and give the manager the rights to update assignment.

If it is some other answer, then it depends on what you need to do.

-Josh
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

That is what I did. I gave the DBA role only "view" rights to the assignment field and the DBA_Managers role "write" rights to the assignment field. For some reason the DBA role can still edit that field.
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Perhaps a workaround would be to create a UI rule that looks for a change to Assigned to Person and if it is not current person or null then gives a popup message telling them they can only change that field to be empty. Thus, they can only clear the field, they can't assign it to someone else.
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

Carol,

Good suggestion. I created a UI rule that uses the notepad app to pop up a message asking them to contact the Manager before assigning the call to someone other than themselves.
I'd still like to be able to lock down the field, but this was acceptbale to the customer.
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

I actually came up with a better work around for this.
I created a rule that whenever the "assigned to person" field is changed by someone other than the person I want to be able to change it, it makes empty the "assigned to person" field.
jconsola20
Occasional Visitor

I created a rule that whenever the "assigned to person" field is changed by someone other than the person I want to be able to change it, it makes empty the "assigned to person" field.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event