Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Call/Incident -> Service -> SLA relations

Highlighted
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Service Call/Incident -> Service -> SLA relations

Hi all,

I was wondering what is the common method/process, you have used or tested in an environment which has implemented all the Service Desk Modules (HD, Change + SLM)

I'm in the midst of trying to structure a SLM process.

I have a few questions:
1) One user can have many Business Services (eg:Email, Desktop, Web) correct?
2) How do I relate these services to the user?
3) An Email Service can have different Service Levels. (Eg: 8X5, 24X5, 24X7) as different SLAs

Let say, a SC is created, it uses Email Service, but the Email Service has 3 different service levels, how can the appropriate service levels be chosen?...

Coz by default, the SL is a reflect of Service selected. But in this case, the particular Service has 3 service levels.

How do I tackle this?

Another question:
1) Email Service uses Mail Server (CI). Mail Server has its own SLA (eg: with Vendor)

Let say, based on the above scenario, the Helpdesk staff, finds out that the problem has caused by a hardwarde defect.

The SLA will definately be off. How can this issue be tackled?

When is the point where the CI SLA come in and how will it affect the SC SLA?...Anyone has any ideas how to calculate the SLA in such a case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy
2 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Call/Incident -> Service -> SLA relations

Amy,

I believe OVSD has some significant differences between 4.5 and 5.0, so which version are you using?

For 5.0, there is a complete manual that addresses your questions. For 4.5, there is still excellent information in the documentation and the on-line help.

My answers are based on 4.5:

>>1) One user can have many Business >>Services (eg:Email, Desktop, Web) correct?
YES

>>2) How do I relate these services to the >>user?
A user belongs to an organization. There is an SLA relating that organization to the service. Therefore, users in that organization are entitled to those services.

>>3) An Email Service can have different >>Service Levels. (Eg: 8X5, 24X5, 24X7) as >>different SLAs
You need to create different service levels. Each SLA has as an attribute only one service level. For a given organization, there will be only one SLA for a given service, and therefore only one service level. However, another organization can have yet another SLA which has a different service level.

>>1) Email Service uses Mail Server (CI). >>Mail Server has its own SLA (eg: with >>Vendor)
>>
>>Let say, based on the above scenario, the >>Helpdesk staff, finds out that the >>problem has caused by a hardwarde defect.
>>
>>The SLA will definately be off. How can >>this issue be tackled?
I am not sure what you mean by "The SLA will definately be off." If you have an underpinning contract that governs how a supplier will repair or replace a CI, then you must negotiate that contract so that you, as an IT Service Provider, can respect your obligations to your clients.

-Josh
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Call/Incident -> Service -> SLA relations

In response tou first question the answer is the use of SLA records. AN SLA ties together users (as members of Organisations or as individuals), a Service and a Service Level. The fourth final and important bit of data is the start and end dates of the SLA. The way SD determines which Service Level to apply is that it retrieves the Service Covered by the Service Call. It then looks at all SLA's that cover that service, It next determines which of these SLA's cover the callers's organisation or the caller. If only one SLA is found then it applies the Service Level in that SLA if the registration created is within the start and end dates of the SLA. If it finds multiple SLA's for that Service covering that user it apples the most stringent Service Level. For example if there is one SLA with an 8x5 coverage and another with a 24x7 it will apply the 24x7 assuming both of the SAL's are active.

Hope this helps

In respect to the second question you are dealing with 2 different types of SLA's. The customer one is a business Service SLA and covers the buisness service which uses the CI. The second type is an Underpinning contract and underpins the CI. (Note the link is the SLA). The SLA's are not linked but you need to make sure that the underpinning contracts will support the business SLA. For example if the Business SLA says 4 hour resolution while the underpinning contract says 48 hours then you are going to fail the Business SLA whenever the underpining contract is envoked.