Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Call Category and Classification Definitions

Highlighted
CharlesGura
Occasional Advisor

Service Call Category and Classification Definitions

Does anyone have a good definition to use for Service Call Category and Service Call Classification? I need one that I can use. I have searched for one, but the one I have just is not good enough.

Here are the ones that I have:
Category
Classification of a group of Configuration Items, change documents or Problems.

5 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Re: Service Call Category and Classification Definitions

Hi Charles,
In Service Call Category you could have as basic categories:
1. RFS (Request for Service)
2. RFI (Request for Information)
3. RFC (Request for a Change)
4. Remarks/Complaints
5. Other
Each of these could have different sub-categories to allow more precisely future SC assignments.
In Service Call Classification you could choose to select from the following:
1. Access and security
2. Main Applications
3. Base hardware (WS, Servers, ATMs, POS..)
4. Reports
5. Network & Communications
6. Procedures & Norms
7. Other - technical
All of these, depends of your ITIL process implementation and maturity level.
Hope this helps you a little.
Best regards,
Dan
Jacek Pliszka_2
Regular Collector

Also in category one may want to
have 'routine changes' - preagreed price/cost.
We also have 'duplicate'.

For classification another idea I heard from one of our managers is to map classification
in agreement's sections/subsections.
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

Category = type of work being requested

classification = actual work being performed, or actual item in question

Something like:
Category = M.A.C. (move/adds/changes)
Classification = Visio Installation

hth
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Charles,

My definition depends on the functionality inherent in OVSD (at least in part).

There may be different types of service calls which are managed with their own processes and which, very often, the fields required will be different. For us, each of these is a different category. Remember, OVSD allows you to make fields mandatory based on the category. In addition (we use SP18), we have dynamic forms that are based on the category. We also find that the category is one of the most useful fields in defining the triggering criteria for UI and DB rules.

For example, a service call for an incident is one category; a service call for a request for change is another category. The information required, the workflow for treating the service call, etc. is completely different.

If you need a definition, why not use the ITIL definition of a Service Request ?

Classification can be linked to the checklist wizard. So for us, the classification concerns the nature of the symptoms of the service call. Typically, the classification helps you to diagnose the service call and is useful for analyses afterwards. Classifications tend to be complementary to the CI - they analysis transversally what is happening. You find things like "performance issue", "access rights", "training issue", etc. in the classification. The classification becomes very useful for problem management, as a way of tracking the underlying problems and trends. A good definition might be "the analysis of the symptoms (or of the immediate causes) of the service call".

Good luck,
Josh
CharlesGura
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all very much for your input. But what I am looking for is a one to two sentence definition of what you have described. Similar to the one I have for Service.

Service - a set of related components provided in support of one or more business processes. Comprised of a range of Configuration Item (CI) types such as hardware, software, documents, and people; the service should be perceived by Customers and Users as a self-contained, single coherent entity.

I liked the short answers of:
Category = type of work being requested

classification = actual work being performed, or actual item in question
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event