Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server log file - Logmemory.txt

Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Server log file - Logmemory.txt

Please can somone explain what this file is for and what the following entry means?

Fri Jul 07 03:12:31 BST 2006:usedmem:17.5 Mb min(13.0 Mb) max(17.7 Mb)freemem:00.9 Mb min(00.1 Mb) max(08.5 Mb)

Thanks.
9 REPLIES
Raghunathan Tik
Frequent Visitor

Re: Server log file - Logmemory.txt

Hi Peter,

this is the log file where the memory usage by OVSD APplication SErver is stamped.

you can use this file to monitor the memory usage and whenever the memory usage hits certain amount of threshold, an alert can be configured so that the OVSD application server is restarted to be on a safer side.

hope this clarifies.

raman
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. It does sort of clarify things.

Can you explain the meaning of the entry which I posted please?

Also how would I go about configuring an alert such as the one you suggest?

Thanks.
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

I assume you are talking about SD5? I don't see a logmemory.txt on 4.5 SP15.

Cheers

Hi,

no, you already have in SD4.5, but you will have to install SP19 for this.
Could you tell how I could restart the app server as you mention above?

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

This is in SD4.5 with SP17.

Can anybody explain the detail of the entry I posted?

What do all those numbers tell you?
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Hi Peter,

I'm afraid I am not skilled in tuning Java but I know that giving it more memory via installservice.bat (bin directory) you can get better performance. This logmemory.txt would help you see the effects???

We currently have 2 Gig of RAM in our App server and have the following settings.

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

I tried making the values bigger but had issues - service wouldn't start. I suspect we could give OVSD more memory for better performance.

There are posts on the meaning of the parameters but I found them a little confusing.

Cheers

PS: the default memory allocation via installservice.bat is very small!!!

Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

David,

Thanks for that. I have increased the default memory size in installservice.bat to 128M, as per the instructions on other posts, it seems to work OK.

I'd like to understand more about the settings and the entries in the log files, hopefully to become more pro-active rather than re-active.

Thanks.
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Excellent,

How much physical RAM do you have in the server? Could you post the line from installservice.bat?

I would like to increase ours but don't fully understand the switches even after reading the posts :-(

Cheers
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Hey, this is supposed to be my thread, how am I going to get any points? :-)

We have 1Gb of physical memory on the app. server and I have attached a word doc containing the installservice.bat and the server.bat files which I amended to increase memory allocation.

Good luck.

Now, does anybody understand the entry I post originally? If so please explain.

Thanks.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event