cancel

Sequential Workorders

Highlighted
RF Doherty
Regular Contributor.

Sequential Workorders

Hi,

I am using OVSD 5.0

I am trying to use a change template to generate 3 workorders which have to be completed in a sequential manner (ie workorder 1 must be closed before workorder 2 can begin and workorder 2 must be closed before workorder 3 can begin.

I have created the workorder successor/predecessor relationships and selected "Successor starts only if predecessor is closed".

When I create a change record using my template the 3 workorders are all created automatically. This causes confusion, because the person to whom workorders 2 and 3 are assigned, immediately sees them within "service today". He has no way of knowing whether or not he can actually action a workorder unless he opens it and checks if the "status" field is greyed-out (indicating that a predecessor is not yet closed). If he has a lot of workorders assigned to him then this just makes things difficult.

Ideally I would prefer it if only Workorder 1 was created when the change record is created. Then when workorder 1 is closed, workorder 2 would be created etc. If this is not possible then is there any way to create a view which will make it easy to see which workorders can be actioned and which are still waiting for predecessors to finish?

I have searched this forum and there is mention of a utility called "autowo". Unfortunately I cannot find this command. Perhaps it does not exist in V5.0. Is there an alternative?

Thank You

Roy
4 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Sequential Workorders

Roy,

We work around this by saying creating a status "Assigned", to which the work order is set only when it is actionable. Users are instructed to ignore any work orders that do not yet have a status of "Assigned".

Also autowo is available in our version of 4.5, I find it much harder to maintain than putting the wo templates in the change template, and would not recommend using it unless there were really a need for dynamically created work orders.

-Josh
RF Doherty
Regular Contributor.

Hi Josh,

Who or what sets the status of a workorder to "Assigned" when it is actionable?

Is this done manually? ie when someone closes a workorder he checks for any successors and sets their status to "assigned"?

Alternatively, have you implemented some sort of rule to do this automatically?

Thanks for you help.

Roy
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Roy,

We have a DB rule that updates the status of the successor Work Orders when a given work order is closed and the closure code indicates that the work was done successfully.

The Change Coordinator for the change may manually update statuses in order to manage exceptions.

-Josh
RF Doherty
Regular Contributor.

Hi Josh,

I have successfully tried this out and it seems like a workable solution.

Many thanks for your help.

Roy