Did you mean: 

Sending e-mail to workgroup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Sending e-mail to workgroup

Greetings! We are in the intermediate stage our our HP Service Desk configuration and we have stumled upon a tricky situation.

Our previous system usedthe concepts of workgroups, however with different Roles within the same one (Coordinator and Technician). There was a rule in this system such that every time something was assigned to the Workgroup, the Coordinators in the group would receive e-mail notification.

Now we have managed to create the Roles in SD with no difficulty at all. And we have a rule in place that notifies a user via e-mail when anything is assigned to them.

However we are somewhat stuck as to how to set up an e-mail notification for the Coordinators in a Workgroup (no matter how many there happen to be in one).

An obvious answer we considered was creating an e-mail attribute for the Workgroups and creating a rule that everytime anything is assigned to a Workgroup, the e-mail is sent to that address, however that would require us to create and maintain e-mail groups for the Workgroups (which are in excess of 500).

Can anyone come up with a less troublesome solution?

Thank you in advance for all your attention and help!

Marco
8 REPLIES

Re: Sending e-mail to workgroup

Hello Marco,

I'd recommend you to create a new person custom field(s) named "Coordinator" and put it(them) on the workgroup form. Then, select the one or more coordinators of the worgroups and put them in these new CFs.
Create a notification DB rule to send an e-mail to the address of the CF coordinator person.

I hope it helps,

Cheers,
Ondra
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor

Often a notification tool for email and paging is already in use within an organization and some of these tools allow people to self-subscribe to notifications which relieves some of the admin efforts. I'm not sure that maintaining these "lists" within SD is any different than maintaining it in an email or notification tool.
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Ondra: With that solution, would I have to create just one field on the Workgroup Form for all the Coordinators or will I have to create one field for each?

Carol: The main reason is that by it easier for us to control who's the Coordinator in each group than to constantly keep updating e-mail distribution lists and things like that.

Now come to think of it, I already have a redundant field called ActiveRole (it basically reflects the ROLE of the user so that I can use it for a RULE)..is there no way of creating a UI or DB rule that can send an e-mail notification to all the people in teh workgroup who have the ActiveRole = Coordinator?
Solution

Marco,

you can do it either way. If you create multiple fields, then select all of them as email recipients in the DB rule. Or, you can create one single field with plain e-mail addresses separated by a comma.

As of ActeveRole field, I can't imagine any functional DB rule using this way as the rules are triggered based on the servicecall-specific condition, not person-specific. Mind that you are creating the rules for a servicecall or an incident entity.

Cheers,

Ondra
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

We just have a Workgroup custom text field with the email addresses of the people that share the role of managing all items assigned to the workgroup - but not an individual of the workgroup.

The email addresses just need to be seperated by semi-colons. If someone is on leave you can take their email address out and put another address in. Easy.

Cheers
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Thank for the information....sounds like a good solution for what we're trying to accomplish.

I do have one concerno though, as to a potential overhead in terms of the system's overall performance.

Have any of you encountered any sort of problem when implementing it like that?
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Thank for the information....sounds like a good solution for what we're trying to accomplish.

I do have one concerno though, as to a potential overhead in terms of the system's overall performance.

Have any of you encountered any sort of problem when implementing it like that?

Marco,

we have many CFs, no impact on the performance at all.

Cheers,

Ondra
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event