Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Send email when change needs approval

Highlighted
Andrej Saje_1
Respected Contributor.

Send email when change needs approval

Hello,

how to make a rule to send email to approvers when change needs to be approved, w/o using option "send me email when item..."?

Thanks in advance,

Andrej
5 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Send email when change needs approval

Hi Andrej,

create a DB rule similar to this one

When change is modified
where Status (*) equals Approved
Send email to requestor when change Approved (Send e-mail message) , Send to: [Requestor;E-mail], Subject: Your Change Request has been Approved,
And what erer other details yopu want to provide.
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

why would you NOT want to use the send email option? (user doesnt have OVSD client I'm guessing?)

If this is the case, create service pages account for users to approve changes through.

Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

we disabled the notification in general as the overhead on sending mails for service call assignments was too much strain on the old mail servers (recently replaced). Also it reduced the mails sent to the service desk staff as they use service today to view assignments of which they get a lot of per day.

Because of this we enables Db rules to fire notification which we could define better that the "send me e-mail.." option which is an all or nothing option.

It also lets you tailor the e-mail sent which now seems possible with SP 17 (though not possible with earlier SP's.
Andrej Saje_1
Respected Contributor.

Mark,
I need to send email when change needs to be approved by CAB. For instance, when approval status eq Active & Result eq Incomplete -> send email to Approver that is part of the CAB. The problem is that I cannot find a field Approver:Email or sthg. So, when approvers need to vote, they need to be notified to do that. How is that possible to achieve?

Marc,

I have also tried this "send me email when..", but no success. The feature is switched on, the server hostname is added. Anything else to set up?

Thanks to both,

Andrej
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Andrej,

sorry I misread the problem. The "Send me an e-mail when items are assigned to me" is the option to use for this.

If its not working are there any errors in the log file?

Is it set in the person reocrd for the prople that are listed as approvers?