Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Self Deleting records - one more day in the OVSD 5.1 nightmare

Highlighted
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Self Deleting records - one more day in the OVSD 5.1 nightmare

Hey everyone,

We've had this problem occasionally for the past two years. Every month or so a ticket just disappears on us. However, today alone I've got half a dozen known ticket numbers that have self deleted. Those are just the ones I know about. My role is the only one with delete rights on Service Request table. I'm the only member who has that role, and I'm sure nobody else is logging in as me.

Any idea what log files might contain clues? I think I'm about to get crucified over here.
7 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Self Deleting records - one more day in the OVSD 5.1 nightmare

You can only claim tickets are being deleted if you have General Settings "ID After Creation" set blank - if it is ticked anyone (with create rights) can get up a form, grab the next ID and then waste it by close without save.

If you do not have "ID After Create" ticked then you will have to play "hunt the deleter".
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

WE have "ID after creation" checked.
coldbeer
Outstanding Contributor.

I havent used 5.1 (lol) but does it not have an audit feature like SD or SM which you could turn on for delete etc and then sit back and catch them! (try it in test first to ensure you have the right fields/actions audited)

enjoy......
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Coldbeer,

It does indeed have an Auditing feature... which is not officially supported do to its aggravation of performance and stability issues.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Another day another disaster. Got calls coming in about disappearing tickets already and its only 8:45 am. Our clients are going to have us tarred and feathered.

:(

I hate this tool
AndrewB
Super Contributor.

I just found out a funny thing. I was working with one of our sencond level groups who use OVSD and doing an ad-hoc training session. One of the users was logged on and so I was using their account/role etc. Something came over me and I had the urge to click on the delete button while in the Service Call view. Normally, the only people who can delete tickets are Admins. We have specifically denied the ability to delete Service Calls from all roles.

Anyway, you guesed it, I deleted the ticket. I was a little shocked to say the least. I then logged on as my admin role and checked all the role. We found one "associated" role that had delete enabled. This has now been removed.

-=R=- It may be useful to go through all you roles and check the delete option for service calls. Dont forget to check in the folders as well as at the top level. If you find a role with delete abilities, check the account tab to see who has that role.

hth - Andrew
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion but we already checked that out. My other admin and I are the only people who have the only role that can delete Service Requests.