The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sd_event on Linux

Highlighted
amykoh

Sd_event on Linux

Hi all,
I know Sd 4.5 and 5.0 doenst support Linux platform. However, are there any workarounds for the scenario below:

The 3rdParty Software runs on Linux Fedora. SD runs on Win2003K.

3rdParty software creates 3rdParty Ticket, when this ticket is created, they want a SD ticket to be created in Service Desk to handle email/sms automatic escalation. When the problem has been solved, 3rdParty ticket will be updated to Close and this will trigger SD ticket to close as well.

Also whenever, the email/sms has been sent, the SD and 3rdParty ticket should record on the ticket that it has been sent.

1) Can SD_event be passed in Linux platform?

2) Has anyone tried using or installing HP-UX's sd_event and agent on Linux Fedora platform?

3) Has anyone tried parsing the sd_event command line without installing the sd_event?

4) Any chance we can change the sd_event.exe to sd_event.bat and put this in the Linux box and
trigger the command..?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Amy
16 REPLIES
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Re: Sd_event on Linux

Hi Amykoh,

If you have the HP-UX installation CDs, you can get your hands on the .depot files. Open the depot file using TextPad, and you can pull out the contents of the depot file in a perl format.

There is a thread somewhere here that has an attchment of the same. Though I can't find it.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Amy,

Found it...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=50930

Check out the attachment...

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
but file a little changed from sp 17.

Vassili
ramasysdev_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Apologies if wrong way round - first time to submit a question - but this request looks like where I need to be - Vassili is this perl script something you wrote?

Regards

Steve W
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

I don't know whether Vassili wrote this script himself or not, but the basic script for sd_event.pl is available if you can extract it from the HP-UX installation'e depot file. Check the link given above. Vassili's script has the required changes for the SP 17.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Saurabh
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
I don't like perl :), this script was extracted from sp17 for sun package - sdevent-4.5-sp.pkg.

Vassili
amykoh

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses.

I was wondering if anyone succeeded in implementing the script on a Linux box, and if yes, could you share the steps, please?

And another thing, is the method supported by HP?..Since SD 4.5 doesnt support Linux.

Thanks.

Amy
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Amy,

I know this script works perfectly. I ran a small setup for a client once using this. (that's when i found out about this.)

I had a nagios box moniroting the systems and tickets to be logged to SD. I had to run event correlation between them also on top of Nagios. So I ran SEC (Simple Event Correlation) and as a command line to log tickets I used the perl script (sd_event.pl). It works perfectly.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
Yes, worked, I'm used a part of this script + Nagios for Incindents creation.

Vassili
amykoh

Hi all,

I appreaciate all you experiences.

As I'm not familiar with Linux, I'm unsure bout how to install the sd agent/sd_event on a Linux box.

How do I implement the perl script..?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Amy
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
sd_event - not possible set as service/demon, as application server. So just copy those files to Linux - take sd_event.pkg from solaris extract and copy, that's all.

Vassili
amykoh

Hi,

Copy which sd_event files to Linux?

Or do i need to extract Unix sd_event and sd_agent in a Unix box before copying the files out? or extract in Solaris box?

Which files do i need to copy and where do I put it?

Sorry for being such a blur...But thanks for your help.

Amy
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
sd_event contain only Perl and text files and not depended where you store it, you can use(extract) Solaris or Unix package, files identical.

Vassili
amykoh

Hi,

That sounds simple enough.

Is it possible to share the relevant files online?..As I do not have a Unix or a Solaris box to extract the relevant files?

Thanks,
Amy
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
That intall on Sparc.

Vassili
amykoh

Hi,

I used Vassili's files to test my scenario.

I copied the bin folder into /root/bin of the Linux machine.

When I ran the sd_event command in the terminal. I get an error in the sd_event_error.log

[EVENT_4328]
VALUE_LIST=event_id=1234#DESCRIPTION=Testing sd_event on Linux#INFORMATION=Manage to send trigger?#CATEGORY=Hardware#username=system#password=servicedesk
PORT=30980
CLIENT_ERRR=Invalid modus: INSERT
TRY=1
LOGFILE=sd_event.log
ERROR_LOG_FILE=sd_event_error.log
TIMESTAMP=The Apr 27 12:40:48 2006
SEND=true

Could someone help me?

Do i need the SD agent for sd_event to work? If yes, then how can get hold of and extracted agent which can work for Linux?

Thanks.

Amy
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event