The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoping a Service Desk admin vacancy?

Highlighted
Jess O'Brien
Super Collector

Scoping a Service Desk admin vacancy?

Our administrator left rather abruptly and now I've been asked to scope out the skillset for a replacement. We're at SD 4.5 sp15 and have been using SD since 2002 so at this stage what we're looking for is someone who can do custom coding to enhance our user experience. From a technical point of view, what skills should I be looking for?

Jess
11 REPLIES
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

Re: Scoping a Service Desk admin vacancy?

web-api coding experience.
java.
SQL knowledge(assuming that is the DB/CMDB you're using)
XML knowledge.
HP AIS certified, understand the OVSD arch and what can and can't be done. I.E. web client and server java inconsistency's etc..
ITSM/ITIL understanding/cert.
hth.

Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Jess, there are just some pointers that come to mind

I have found that you would need someone not only with technical skills but also skills / experience & understanding of how the service desk modules should work i.e. ITIL knowlege and previous experience (unless you are looking for a technical person and you have other people available with a working knowledge of ITIL to work with this person)

If you have service pages you need to be able to configure .jsp pages to modify it.
DBA skills (oracle/SQL) are required if you need to run reports directly from the database (unless the site has some DBA's to hand) or have a report tool set up

... and of course previous Openview skills (if you can get them)

I'm sure the list will be added with additional skills etc.
Jess O'Brien
Super Collector

Mark, do you reckon I have a good chance of finding someone like this in Dublin or will I have to hire through one of our offices in the US or Canada.

Jess
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Jess,

looking for a needle in a hay stack comes to mind though honestly I'm not sure of the quantity of suitable candidates.

Maybe I could be tempted (lol).
Jess O'Brien
Super Collector

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of .. it would be ideal for me to hire here in Dublin but doesn't look likely .. maybe I'll just try some of the job sites anyway.

Jess
Jess O'Brien
Super Collector

Sorry thought of something else .. can someone do all this in Ireland or the UK when the actual servers are based in the US?

Jess
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Jess,

The administrator does not need to be in the same physical location as the SD server provided they can access the servers using some remote access tool.

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Pinion
HPE Expert

currently, I'm working on it....but I'm in THailand.... too far...away...
-/\-
Judit_Pongracz
Super Collector

Hi Jess,

if you would just wrote this 1-2 months earlier, you would have found me in Dublin...:))

Seriously, I think Marc's description is really good, but I wouldn't be sure if you could find such a person, and I mean not only Dublin. If you are able to give guidance on ITIL, then I would say that the technical skills are more important. After all, you can send the guy to a foundations training.

Re,
Judit
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jess,

I think even getting training of ITIL will help a little because according to me, one can enhance the concepts of ITIL in the working environment only provided he knows the concepts of ITIL previously.
Recently I got HPSD certified and am preparing for ITIL exam but my knowledge for the same gets increased more with communication with the customer.At last,we are working for the customer so we can better tell them the best practice they should follow using ITIL processes.

Regards,
Akhil
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Jess,

If you are having difficulties finding someone with all the right skills, perhaps you could try a different approach.

In my experience, the SD administrator does not need to be an expert in all the topics but should know when to call one.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event