Scheduled tasks rides again

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Scheduled tasks rides again

Im running Sdesk 4.5 SP23.
Right now I have 13175 scheduled tasks and I have a question to my friends. Where I can get information about the functionality of this stuff. I guess when an scheduled tasks is done it must be removed from the list. Due to causes that I dont know , it seems to be this is not occurring naturally. So , the main question is WHY ?
I know that a have a lot of DB rules and UI too. If anybody have any idea pls tell us.
I read some threads about this issues , including how delete all schedules or one or from one , but this is not the case.
Thanks for any help, before I open a case on HP.
Regards,
Rubem
15 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Scheduled tasks rides again

Hi,

I have found this to be chicken and egg.

Due to some DB rules set up to do a scheduled task the system gets overloaded with the tasks i.e. more that 5000 per app server. This can slow down the system. then it can affect other DB rules from firing and the whole thing starts to grind to a halt.

What I have done in the past is to re-examine the proces and the requirements to have scheduled tasks in the first place. In most cases I found ways of doing away with almost all the scheduled tasks and at the same time reducimg the DB rules that run - thus affecting the system in a good way.

I thinl you need to evaluate all the rules that cause a scheduled task to run and see if it is needed and if this is the casue of all the tasks.

I had a system with 9,000 scheduled tasks which was actually right when we looked at the logic generating them. But I changed this and we went down to approx 1000
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Rubem,

I would agree with what Mark has said.

In my experience, you need to check the logic of the conditions which are used on DB rules which use the scheduled option. It is VERY easy to get this wrong and end up with too many (when I was starting on HPSD I managed to get 30,000 because I was not careful).

In general I would say there NEVER be a DB rule where a scheduled task is the ONLY condition. You need to think what is the trigger and then what is the condition I want to check in the future. For example if you want to alert some one an hour before deadline, I would have the following:

If Deadline(*) is not empty AND if Status is not closed or Resolved scheduled 1 hour before deadline

I attach some SQL which will delete all scheduled tasks which is the only way I know of removing them in version 4.5 (in version 5 they actually allow you delete them - about the only good thing in version5!)

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Rubem, I think the only sure way to remove expired scheduled tasks (which I think you are saying you have) is to bounce the server. I seem to recall that just bouncing the service is not enough. ie bounce each application server.
Otherwise I agree with Ruth and Mark - revisit the reasons they are being created.
Good luck. ....Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

and if the bounce don't work (sometimes happens0 the scripts are needed to clear them down.
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Rubem,

Attached you will find a tool made by the HP SD labs, (although it is not fully supported because it was not thoroughly tested) you can use it to perform scheduled tasks maintenance.

It was created for SP17 and above.

You can check and delete your scheduled tasks and find and delete corrupt ones.

How to included in the file.

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks Mark, Ruth , Ken and Mark L. for the good answers. I guess I will have a lot of work. I appreciate the tip of Ruth and I will test the tool sent by Mark L.
One more thing is why we can only see 1000 scheds ?
Maybe I can see using an out-of-the-box tool as crystal reports.
I have a big problem related to scheds : everytime I quit the servicedesk server service and restart it , several emails are resent to the users. I try to fix this setting the "only execute one" but Im affraid to do the test in the production environment. I will wait and when I need to quit/restart by another cause the test will be done.
Regards,
Rubem
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mark,

I cannot access your attachment - it says it is an invalide zip. Could you possibly send it to me unzipped (or try rezipping) at ruth.porter@foxit.net

Thanks, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mark - I had the same problem as Ruth. Could you please email to kenilian@bigpond.com ? Thanks.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sent it to Ken and Ruth.
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Michael Gregor
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Mark!

Could you send it to me as well?

gregor@ntnu.no
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mark,

woudld appreciate if it also went to oloughlin.mark@gmail.com also.

Thanks.
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ok, sent it to Michael. Mark your e-mail did not work, mail got bounced back with a security reason.

I will try to upload the file here again, this time password secured.

Password is "ITRC" without the quotes.

Mark
HP Support
AndrewB
Super Contributor.

Hi Rubem,

Are any of these scheduled tasks past their trigger date? If so, another gottcha that I have found is when I set a field to be required and there are scheduled tasks in the queue where this newly required field is empty. When the schedule is set to run, it cannot save the change because there is a requirement that cannot be met and so it just sits in the queue. In this case, you need to go back into each individual ticket and satisfy the requirement and then reschedule (or delete) the task.
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi friends,

Just to inform the actions to detour/fix my problem. This morning I have to turn off the server service. When it turned on I see that I have only 4760 sched tasks instead of 13175 as I talked above at the question. BTW , when the service becoming on , more than 150 Db rules was fired , sent emails that was sent days ago. I did the review of the Db rules , only two , and I didnt see nothing exceptional.
Any comments are welcome,
Regards and Happy carnival for everyone.
Rubem
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi,

Can you publish few of the DB rules? I have seen a system with more than 30,000+ Scheduled tasks pending, and the people are still doing great with it. (it is sd4.5 with sp14!)

Ashly A K
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview