The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled Tasks problem in SD 4.5

Highlighted
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

Scheduled Tasks problem in SD 4.5

Hii

we are using SD 4.5 sp 14.Currently we are having around 300 DB rules for service calls.The rules contains escalations(sms)after every 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,---15 hrs for call registered and call closures.

The problem is that registeration sms are going on time for each escalation but the closure sms are delayed.

eg. call is closed on 7th June but the sms is recieved on 14th.

Can anybody plz tell me the reason why the db rules are working slow.

12 REPLIES
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Scheduled Tasks problem in SD 4.5

Maybe the problem is not with the DB rules, but with the high queue of sms that are being sent.

First, really identify wehere the delay might be:
1. Check that in the logserver all rules are triggering at the proper time.

2. Then I assume that all these SMS are being sent via 3rd party tool, check that this tool can hanlde this high load of sms messages.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

Hii Err

Thanks for replying.

As u said we are using a third party tool for sending sms,sd agent is running on the som server for communication.

I have attached a part of the sd agent log file on the sms server.just hav a look.

It shows that the rule is triggered on 14th only even if the uptime for the call is 7th.
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Well, it seems that the SD agent server is not able to handle the high queue...

There is a difference between the time SD triggered the rule (logserver in SD server), ths is the time that the action was queued in the SMS server, and then the time the SD agent triggered the action (logagent, SMS server).

Service Pack 14 is too old, there are some issues with SD agent that were corected in the Agent in Service Pack 17 & 19.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

We hav 2 sd 4.5 servers.Both r running simultaneously.
I checked the serverlog.txt file it shows
the no. of scheduled tasks loaded is 2034,on the second server it is only 306.

When i m looking at d scheduled tasks it is showing old tasks since 2007 and the latest is scheduled for 2023,hw can it be possible. Is there any way to delete old scheduled tasks.

other than upgrading to SP 17 is dere any other way to solve d issue.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

In the Scheduled Tasks list, in the Actions menu, there is an option to reschedule outdated tasks.

For this to work, the appserver with 2k+ tasks must be down. Then you could reschedule all tasks to the other appserver.

The outdated scheduled tasks will evaluate but will only execute if their conditions still apply but if not, their actions will be ignored and the task should be removed.

Hopefully there's good logic in the DB Rule so they won't execute on items that are not currently relevant.

Another option is to check how many Scheduled Tasks are outdated. If memory serves me right, the OID of the Scheduled Tasks is sequential. If, say, the first 300 Scheduled Tasks are outdated, you could remove those via a DML statement on the rep_javaobjects table. Of course, direct manipulation of the database is not recommended.

Otherwise, this technical article explains how to remove ALL Scheduled Tasks:
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM80322

Points are welcome.

The Pike
The Pike
Honored Contributor

5 points only? Tough crowd.

<<
4 - 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!
>>

What do you need additional help with? Let's find out what it takes to get 8-10 points...

The Pike
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

Pike,

I tried rescheduling the tasks but an error came saying "No schedule tasks assigned to down or obsolete servers found "

I restarted the server also still the tasks

The query which u discuss will delete all ST.
I just only want to delete the out dated scheduled tasks.

My problem is not solved yet.

I appreciate ur help.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Rescheduling assumes a failover scenario. If both SD appservers are on the same host, then you will get that message.

Did you look at the "outdated Scheduled Task count" method?

The Pike
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

There are 4558 total scheduled tasks i checked in the database.

Logserver file shows around 306 ST on one server and around 2000 ST on the other server.These servers are currently in use.Both hav diff ip and hostname.

ST are showing some more servers which are not in use.

Around 2000 tasks are dere which are scheduled on the previously existing servers.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Very interesting. Does your Active Application Servers list in the Admin console happen to show the previously existing servers?

The Pike
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

No,Active application servers only shows the 2 servers which are active.

Only the scheduled tasks are showing the previously active servers,these scheduled tasks are of 2007 to 2009.

Pike,i think i should delete all ST since this issue is getting delayed and its very urgent.

The exact problem is that sms are not going.
Sometimes they are going and sometimes not.

For deleting the ST,i hav to stop the services in both the application server.Right
den i hav to run that query in database and den restart the services.

plz guide me.
SWATI SHARMA
Collector

Thanks to All of u.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event