The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule tasks

Highlighted
Eric Ung
Frequent Visitor

Schedule tasks

Guys,
A general question on Schedule tasks. We are running OVSD4.5 SP22 on Windows 2003 and over the last few months we are experiencing some system hangings accompanied by java.lang.OutOfMemoryError in the log file. We did some memory adjustments but did not notice any improvements. Currently we have about 20862 scheduled tasks.
Have anyone experience similar issues?
Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks
5 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Schedule tasks

Hi Eric,

that is a lot of scheduled tasks. How many application servers have you installed?

Why so many scheduled tasks. What is the main reason for them being generated? Maybe you could achieve the same result without so many scheduled tasks.

Even with the memory adjusted too many scheduloed tasks can still casue issues.
Eric Ung
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Mark.
All the scheduled Task are email escalations to various level of Management when Service Calls and Incidents are not actioned/Resolved. We are running 2 Application Servers. On average we do about 700 SC per day. Each SC can have up to 14 scheduled tasks.
Is there a better way for escalations rather than using Scheduled Tasks?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

HI

ref "email escalations to various level of Management when Service Calls and Incidents are not actioned/Resolved"

I have found that by sending these type of emails you still don't get the intended result. i.e. the tickets are nto actioned.

Assign ownership of the calls to say the Service Desk. Have them use views and reports to identify such calls and follow up. This is mopre productive. Granted it may require an additional resource or adding extra responsibility to the team - but you will get better results that just sending emails.

Anyway that is one way to do it - use reports and views instead of scheduled tasks.

Another way to do it is to show the other teams how to build the same reports and views so that they can identify and manage these calls themselves but with someone acountable overall.

14 scheduled tasks for an SC is quite high. Look at what you can effectivley do via process rather that automating it all.

Also review the effectiveness of the automation that you have in place.

This is perhaps not the answer thay you were looking for (e.g. throw more memory into the server) but I think will address your issues (granted it will take some time to do).
Eric Ung
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions Mark.
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

Eric,

You DEFINITELY want to stay away from scheduled tasks. They're anethema to your system's health. We have just under 3000 scheduled tasks and that "heavy volume" has been blamed for our epidemic problem of misfiring business rules.

I get all my timing and breach information via Crystal Reports. Managers are obligated to run the reports and give summaries on a daily service performance meeting.

For us, we break our calls into 3 performance levels. "Safe" (those tickets more than one business day away from due date), "Will Be Late" (those tickets within one business day of SLA breach), and "Late". I have reports that, in one page, can give a group lead a list of the most likely tickets to address and who's handling them.

If you have Crystal, I can help you build something similar as a professional courtesy.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event