Schedule exporting of views

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
ah12
Super Collector

Schedule exporting of views

Hello,
We have business requirement of exporting change views to shared location and schedule the process for daily report generation.I know that views can be exported to csv format but i want to how to schedule this(export process) on daily basis.Our setup is SD5.1.
Please help.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Schedule exporting of views

Assuming you mean views from the console (and not database views for reporting) you cannot configure anything within the application to export a console View.

You could macro the actions using a third party application.

A more elegant approach would be to use database views for reporting option in Service Desk, then use these Views as a data source for whatever program you use to create reports, such as Crystal Reports or MS Query/MS Excel. No need to schedule any exports from the Service Desk side.

Hope this helps.
Do not forget to assign points for the contribution.

The Pike
ah12
Super Collector

Pike,thanks for your reply.This may sound silly but i have not used database views before. Do you mind giving me more detailed approach.

Thanks
The Pike
Honored Contributor

It's fairly simple, once you've done it once or twice.

The option to generate database Views for reporting is in the System Panel in SD4.5. I don't recall off the top of my head where this option is in SD5.10 but it is there under Report Settings.

This will create database views (which are sort of virtual tables, there's a short but concise article on database views in wikipedia) in the Service Desk database, based on the information stored in the actual tables and in a more user-friendly format than those.

Your Reporting application can then pull filtered information from those Views create daily reports based on those Views or you can access them in Excel via MS Query.

Of course, connection details and filtering views will depend on which method or application you use to pull the data.

Points are welcome.

The Pike
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event