Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL CAST statement error

Highlighted
Toyin_1
Occasional Contributor

SQL CAST statement error

Hi All

I am trying to amend the Data import ini file for HPoV. I have used the code below within the SELECT statement:

CAST([ImpactStatement] AS varchar).

The intention being to convert the impactStatement field from String Type to varchar type. However I keep getting the error below:

the SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument that is misspelled, or the punctuation is incorrect. ErrorNumber:5005.

Please help!

7 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: SQL CAST statement error

Which driver are you using?
Did you try running that as part of an sql statement directly on the database to get a hint of what is going on?

The Pike
Toyin_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Pike for your response. I am using the Excel ODBC driver. I have attached the ini file. What i am trying to achieve is change the datatype of the IMPACTSTATEMENT field within the .ini file used to convert from Excel to XML. If I try to assign any string value longer than 255 characters to the field it gets truncated. I tried assigning a value from within the ini file an i still get the same result.

Your help is greatly appreciated and I also assigned you some points earlier.
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Try CAST([Data].[Impact statement]....
instead of CAST(Data.Impact statement ....
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Toyin_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. However, i'm still getting the same error message.
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Sorry can't help. It may be that CAST is not valid for the Excel driver - I've never used it in that context. I know not everything that works for SQL driver works in Excel driver in Data Exchange.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Toyin_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for the help. I have now resolved the original problem. I found out that including the keyword DISTINCT in the SELECT statement causes fields longer than 255 characters to be truncated. So i just took out the DISTINCT keyword and bingo! Not sure why this is so though.
Toyin_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for the help. I have now resolved the original problem. I found out that including the keyword DISTINCT in the SELECT statement causes fields longer than 255 characters to be truncated. So i just took out the DISTINCT keyword and bingo! Not sure why this is so though.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event