Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SP18 versus OVSD 5.0

Highlighted
Ryan Jenkins
Super Contributor.

SP18 versus OVSD 5.0

I understand that in SP18 we now have the ability to dynamically change forms using UI rules. What I'm interested in is whether this is available in 5.0 (or 5.1 when released).

We're investigating whether we should go to 18 now and wait for an upgrade path from SP18 to 5.1 or just to wait for 5.1 and skip SP18.

Thanks,
Ryan
7 REPLIES
Turan Atac
Trusted Contributor.

Re: SP18 versus OVSD 5.0

Hello Ryan,

What kind of change do you mention? Enable and disable fields, or hide show some fields or change layout of the form?
Ryan Jenkins
Super Contributor.

I received this document from our HP guy concerning the enhancement for SP18 to show/hide fields and tabs using UI Rules. I'm interested in knowing wether or not we can do the same in 5.0
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Ryan,

Eventually this will be implemented in the Sd5 release but not in SD5.1.
The first migration will be SD45SP17--->SD5.10 (aroun the summer)
Next will most likely be SD4.5SP18--->SD5.20 (no scheduled timeframe yet).

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Ryan Jenkins
Super Contributor.

So 5.0 and 5.1 will NOT support the dynamic forms which were introduced in SP18?

We don't want to migrate from SP18 to 5.X, but rather determine whether or not to wait for 5.1 or go with SP18 now.
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

As of now it is NOT supported in 5.0.
HP told us that most 4.5 features will be ported to 5.x but they did not tell when.

So I'm not recommeding anyone to go with 5.0, except if it is a new implementation AND needs more in the SLM side than watn 4.5 can offer.

Go with 4.5 right now. It is much better than 5.0 (sans SLM)

Gyula
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I take the same view as Gyula at the moment. 4.5 with the latest SPs is quite stable and can be tailored quite well however SLM is disapointing and not being able to use dynamic forms is a pain. OVSD 5.0 has some excellent features but appears to be buggy at the moment.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Service Desk 4.5 is quite mature and though SD 5 has some really needed features I think we can stay to SD 4.5 for the time being.

We need dynamic forms and unlimited custom fields more than SD 5.1 and furthermore, upgrading to 5.1 won't be a weekend's job.

So we decided to wait and see what will going to happen with 5.1 since we believe that the migration won't be painless and we'd rather wait others to find the problems than finding them by ourselves :)

According to plan (though we've waiting 2 years for SD5) 5.1 will be released around summer. So if you have the patience to go to 5.x around 2007 maybe it would be better to wait 5.2 that will incorporate all 4.5 features.

Just my 0.02$
menes fhtagn