SP11 to SP15 Upgrade...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Roderick De Guz
Regular Collector

SP11 to SP15 Upgrade...

Hello All.

Just wondering if there is something I should look out for when upgrading from SP11 to SP15? Anyone have had any battle scars upgrading to SP15 that is worth noting?

Previous service pack upgrades, we actually had to export the rules and re-import them after the upgrade. Was wondering if this is required for SP15.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES
Michael Lutfi
Frequent Visitor

Re: SP11 to SP15 Upgrade...

Roderick,

Listening to others battle scars is not what you need...best thing is to setup a development/test environment with SP 15...test that the main and most critical Business Logic you have is working and test the functionalities that matter to your business users. That is the best advice most will give you again and again in this forum and it does not take more than hour to replicate an environment.

Other than that SP 15 is really stable with me definetly one I will stick to for some time till I find another SP which does not have a perl file missing or causes major system problems...
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Roderick,

SP15 seems to be quite good. However test, test and test. Then test again. Rolling back is not the easiest thing in the world.

If you use "Opening hours Calendar of Assigned Workgroup for all items" there might be a problem when trying to make planned calculations for the 24x7 Workgroups. This bug introduced in SP14 and was not fixed in SP15. It is fixed in SP16 though.
menes fhtagn
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Roderick,
As above!!! I've just done an upgrade from SP6 to SP11 and then to SP15, and then quite a bit of customisation under SP15, and found it to be the most stable service pack in a long while. Found no problems. So go for it....with testing.
Sounds like SP16 is one to avoid for now though. Good luck......Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Pierre Wolters
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ken

Is there a reason why you upgrade first to SP11 and then to SP15. Why didn't you directly upgrade from SP6 to SP15??
pierre wolters
Roderick De Guz
Regular Collector

thanks for the response.

Ken, when you stated bit of customisation for SP15. Is that when you upgraded from SP11 to SP15, that you actually had to make customisations to make SP15 work with your SP11 configuration (ie. business and ui rules)?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Roderick,

SP15 (with the exception of the annoying bug with the 24x7 workgroups) didn't need any "convertion" for UI/DB rules

I imagine Ken did the customization because of the jump from SP6 to SP11 to SP15. In SP7 the UI/DB rules got a major overhaul so you had to customize the old ui/db rules because the new offered with SP7 have more features.

I suggest you to go to SP16 for one reason: It has all the fixes of SP15 PLUS a major one for the agent part: Prior to SP16 when an application fires from a DB rule the agent (and thus the application server) waits for the launched program to finish in order to continue. This is solved on SP16 and at least for me was a great motive to upgrade to this version.
menes fhtagn
Roderick De Guz
Regular Collector

Interesting.

Any SP16 showtoppers I should watch out for? I saw that an emergency patch was released for SP16 within two weeks of its release.
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Hi Roderick - actually that was a typo on my part. I meant to say SP6 to SP7 then SP15. And the only reason I did it in two steps was because of the major change with SP7, and I recalled some advice suggesting it was better to go viia SP7. But I'm not sure if that is correct. I know other people had to export and import rules when going to some later releases, but I haven't had that problem.
The customisation I did under SP15 wasn't because of SP15 itself....we wanted to add some new functionality, and I needed to use the new rules features of SP7+. I decided that SP15 looked good (from the forums). I'd search the forum a bit more before going to SP16 though...I'm sure there were a few reports of problems.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

<>

Actually that was a guff from HP. In SP16 the layout structure of the attachment is changed and a perl script is needed for converting the old attachment tree to the new attachment tree. HP forgot (!!!!!!) to include that file in SP16 so after a week posted SDSK_0060
http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00060
that is an archive that contains ONLY the perl script.

I haven't found any showstoppers at SP16 but a special care must be taking before applying the patch: You must convert the old attachment structure to the new one.
menes fhtagn
Roderick De Guz
Regular Collector

does the new attachment structure do anything special?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Roderick,

Unless the filesystem where the ftp lies has restrictions on the maximum number of files per directory you will notice no difference.
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event