Highlighted
Durga Srinivas
Respected Contributor.

SMTP Authorization error

Hi,

We have installed
1) SMTP Server
2) Lotus Notes(EMail server)

on the Service desk application server machine.

Note : The integration between SMTP Server and Lotus Notes is taken care of.
Environment : SD4.5 with SP8

When we try to send an email to one of the user who has account on Lotus Notes then we are getting "505 Authorization required" error in the SD server log files and the email is not sent to the respective user.

So we would like to know is there a possibility to send passwords also( to the SMTP Server) while sending email to the users.

Thanks
Srini
6 REPLIES
Ivo_11
Frequent Contributor.

Re: SMTP Authorization error

Srini,

You mentioned that the integration between the SMTP server and Lotus is taken care of. Did you try to send mail from within Lotus Notes to the user and was this succesfull? Next, is there a need for a separate SMTP Server next to Lotus Notes (Email server)?

Could the 505 error be related to the SMTP server which requires authorization? This would be a default protection to prevent mail relaying of unauthorized mail. There should be a configurable option in the SMTP server (probably an access list) to permit relaying of local mail (IP 127.0.0.1). You do not necessarily need to specify a password in this case.

Did you check the SMTP server log file as well?

Regards.
Durga Srinivas
Respected Contributor.

Hi,
Please ignore my previous problem statement, i will re-describe my problem statement as follows.

1) We have SD installed on one machine(called as machine1).
2) In another machine(called as machine2) we have SMTP Server (it doesn't do much) and Lotus Notes installed.(Please note that Lotus Notes is the email server).

Now from SD we try to send emails to the users of Lotus Notes.For this we are sending emails to the SMTP server(machine2), then we get a error called authorization failed.It is not possible to configure SMTP server (on machine2) for accepting a specific list of users due to security constraints.

For this we would like to know is there any way to send passwords to the SMTP server(on machine2) or can we send emails directly to the Lotus Notes?

Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks
Srini
Ivo_11
Frequent Contributor.

Srini,

Yes, Lotus Notes should be able to handle the SMTP functionality, making the SMTP server obsolete. However, it it still unclear to me which server gives the authorization error (and is using the smtp port 25). What kind of software is the SMTP server?

You might do some testing by sending a mail via telnet. See for telnet commands the following URL: http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

Regards.
Durga Srinivas
Respected Contributor.

Hi

We are recieving this error by the SMTP server which sends to Lotus Notes.This error message is logged in our SD Server log files.

Note : The outbound server ip(in sd admin console) is the SMTP server ip which sends to Lotus Notes.

Thanks
Srini
Ivo_11
Frequent Contributor.

Srini,

Service desk will not send a login/passwd to the smtp server. Access restrictions are handled by the SMTP server.

By default, your smtp server restricts all mail relaying (in theory, the whole world would be able to send mail via your smtp server.

There should be some way to configure access control in this smtp server. If you think your smtp server still requires login/passwd try to use some other freeware smtp server (argosoft mail server, mercury smtp (pegasus) etc...

I still think, this could be done in your Lotus Notes.

Regards,

Ivo
Durga Srinivas
Respected Contributor.

Hi Ivo,
Thanks for the reply.Can we do something like forwarding from SD's SMTP server to the Lotus Notes?If so can you please let me know how to configure Sd's SMTP Server to forwrad the email to Lotus Notes.

Thanks
Srini