Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SM7 Migration Tools for SD 4.5 - Reviews?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Carlos Thompson
Respected Contributor.

SM7 Migration Tools for SD 4.5 - Reviews?

Anybody try to migrate SD 4.5 to SM7 yet? And if so are they still alive?

Thanks,
Carlos, the 28 point Guru =)
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: SM7 Migration Tools for SD 4.5 - Reviews?

Hi Carlos,

the initial launch (at least this side of the pond) is at the November software universe at the end of the month.

I expect the migration tools to be available for use then. There may have been some beta testers with the tools but they might not have been availabile to the general public until the official release.

From what I have see the rules logic and specific customisations may not be ported over with a migration tool (though HP can correct me on this).

28 points - your off to a good start.
Michael Daly_2
Super Contributor.

Hi Carlos and Mark

At last weeks Webinar (available in the archives from www.hp.com/go/swcustomerconnection ) we were told SM7 and DC2 was to be released on Thursday 15 Nov 2007, but in the hand out notes from this Webinar it does state what Mark said that HP want to make a fan-fare of its release at the HP Software Universe @ Barcelona on Nov 27 to 30th.

These notes show in bullet point form the Service Desk and Service Center (depending which application you are upgrading from) data that will be included in the migration automation tools. These are on pages 16 and 17 of the notes.

Please keep us posted if you have any news of your data migration.

Michael
14 Nov 2007
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Michael

Like I said previously I attended the same webinar last week and I heard no information stating that SM7 would be released on Nov 15th, Like Mark has mentioned above SM7 will be launched at the S/W Universe in Barcelona on Nov 27-30th.

Mark I also have heard the same information regarding the migration from SD to SM7, Rules and customisations will not be migrated, any DB/UI rules and any other customisations will need to be re-implemented!!
Also adding on from that I believe that templates will also not be migrated.

Many people have said this but it is becoming more and more apparent that the move from SD4.5 to SM7 is going to be a very long and possibly costly project.

Jay
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Jay, thats what I have heard to date though untilth tools come out we won't know for sure. However at the webinar it looked like the basics could be migrated but rules and workflows and templates and customisations may have to be done again.

Anyway it wont be long before the fanfare. We will see at the end of the month when the migration tools will be available.
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Mark,

Are you planning to attend S/W Universe at the end of the month?
I had planned to but work commitments dont allow me to.

Do you have any plans to migrate to SM7?
I think were going to hang fire until at least mid 2009.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Jay,

hoping t the last minute to get some time and go.

I wouldn't be the first to rush ahead with the upgrade (I was cautious around v5 thankfully) but would look now at whats involved and whats required to get there.