Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SLM Module and Service Desk Procedures

Highlighted
Pete_Pearson
Frequent Contributor.

SLM Module and Service Desk Procedures

I have several questions for anyone experienced with how the SLM module of OpenView integrates with the Service Call, Incidents, and Problem tickets.

1. Is it assumed that every CI should only be associated to ONE service within Service Desk, so to limit confusion on how to isolate service impact?

2. Does anyone have suggestions or an example of how a level 1 service desk agent should procedurally create a Service Call or Incident ticket with a Service and Service Level association?

3. Are Service Desk agents expected to identify an impacted "Service" upon initial triage?

4. If a "Service" is not identified after initial triage, and is routed, how does the tool calculate Service Levels?
5 REPLIES
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SLM Module and Service Desk Procedures

1. no, since a CI may provide multiple services. e.g. if you have a server it may provide both file and printing services, which may have different SLAs. Service Desk will always choose the stricter SLA to determine the deadline.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Pete,

The approach that we (Fox IT) have taken with this is that the service is typically what the customer says they cannot do. So for example if you have a service called FRED which some of your customers receive via an SLA, when the call they typically say "I can't use FRED". So at initial logging you put it down as FRED because that is the business service that is affected. this then give syou the service level and hence the business impact. (Note that if you do choose a servce and hence servic elevel here, you will get the default service level).

During the lifecycle of the call, investigation may show that it is in fact the network which is at fault. We recommned that you record this fact in the CI so that on closing the call you have the information as to what was actually wrong (the CI) but also what business service was impacted (FRED).

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Pete_Pearson
Frequent Contributor.

Can I assume then that most business facing applications are created as "Services" within Service Desk given your FRED example.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Pete,

You ask: "Can I assume then that most business facing applications are created as Services".

I can only answer that in most implementations where we have been involved that has been the case because that has been the approach adopted when setting up the Service Catalogue.

This does not mean it is the only way of setting up services but in my experience if you need to be able to specify which service is affected when someone logs a call it is very difficult to do this unless you do take this approach. You can of course set up a hierarchy of services with this kind at the lowest level but I would recommend experimenting to see what suits you.

Hope someone here helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Pete_Pearson
Frequent Contributor.

Ruth,
What are the typical service levels created for the services you describe? And how are they implemented with the Service Desk