SD5 & Different Categories of CI

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Back2Future
Trusted Contributor.

SD5 & Different Categories of CI

Hi,
I have a customer with many different types of Configuration Items (routers, servers, telco lines, email addresses ..).

I have defined custom fields for these different CIs.

P.E.: a router has a HostName, a TelCo Line has a telephone number and so on.

The data of these different CIs are on a separates Excel worksheet (router.xls, servers.xls ..)

Every CI is related to an Organization that I have to import into SD.

How can I import so many different CIs with so many different fields in a single importing step?

Must I "merge" the different Excel files into one with every fields of every different CIs?

6 REPLIES
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: SD5 & Different Categories of CI

Hi,

If the Organisations are not already in Service Desk then import these first. This way they will exist when you go to relate the CI to an Organisation (you can do this easily when importing the CI).

If you are doing it once then you could merge the different excel files into one. ie. If a NON Telco line CI doesn't have a value for telephone then that column would simply be empty - no problems. You would add a column called category and in the import mapping set up a value mapping to map your values to values in the Category code table in Service Desk.

But you wouldn't have to merge it - it still might be easier to do seperate imports. Once you have done a couple you can set them up quite quickly. Doing them separately would allow the use of a different Service Desk Template for each - this might be useful.

If you have to repeat this import periodically then you can still have many separate imports done in sequence. An import ini file can initiate many imports. Each separate import would have its own import mapping.

So you can do it in one go or many goes and without seeing the data it is hard to say which is quicker. If you are new to Data exchange just tackle one small CI category first though.

I hope that helps.
Back2Future
Trusted Contributor.

TAL!
Back2Future
Trusted Contributor.

Hi!

I've tried to import Organizations first (with success), and then Persons related to Organizations already imported .. but importing Persons failed.

My INI files are the followings:

ORGANIZATIONS.INI:

[DSN]
NAME=SICK
USR=
PWD=

[SYSTEM]
LOG=TRUE
XML=TRUE
LOG_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\log\Organizations.log
OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\xls\forimport.xls
OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\log\Organizations.out
XML_OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\xml\Organizations.xml
APPLICATION_NAME=Microsoft Excel
ENCODING=ISO-8859-1

[CLASSES]
NAME=ORGANIZATIONS

[ORGANIZATIONS]
SOURCE=[ORGANIZATIONS]
ATT=[SEARCHCODE], [SAPID], [NAME], [ADDRESS]
COLUMNS= DISTINCT [SEARCHCODE], [SAPID], [NAME], [ADDRESS]
LOADTABLE=TRUE

ORGPERSONS.INI:

[DSN]
NAME=SICK
USR=
PWD=

[SYSTEM]
LOG=TRUE
XML=TRUE
LOG_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\log\OrgPersons.log
OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\xls\forimport.xls
OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\log\OrgPersons.out
XML_OUTPUT_FILE=C:\SDDataExchange\xml\OrgPersons.xml
APPLICATION_NAME=Microsoft Excel
ENCODING=ISO-8859-1

[CLASSES]
NAME=ORGANIZATIONS, PERSONS

[ORGANIZATIONS]
SOURCE=[ORGANIZATIONS]
ATT=[SEARCHCODE], [SAPID], [NAME], [ADDRESS]
COLUMNS= DISTINCT [SEARCHCODE], [SAPID], [NAME], [ADDRESS]
LOADTABLE=TRUE

[PERSONS]
SOURCE=[PERSONS]
; Questi sono i nomi dei campi in ServiceDesk, e devono essere unici ..
ATT=[SEARCHCODEPERSONS], [SAPIDPERSONS], [FIRST], [LAST], [FUNCTIONAL], [PHONE], [FAX], [MOBILE], [EMAIL], [NOTE]
; Questi sono i nomi delle colonne in Excel
COLUMNS= DISTINCT [SEARCHCODEPERSONS], [SAPIDPERSONS], [FIRST], [LAST], [FUNCTIONAL], [PHONE], [FAX], [MOBILE], [EMAIL], [NOTE]
LOADTABLE=TRUE
PARENT=ORGANIZATIONS
PARENT_RELATION=[SAPIDPERSONS]=[SAPID]
PARENT_RELATION_NAME=SAPIDPERSONS

I have configured two Import Mapping: one for the Organizations only, and another for Persons only, in which I have defined the field "Member of Organizations" to look into Organization.Name1 (which is the "relation" code)

Import of Persons fail with error (file Persons related to Organizations_imp.log):

HP OpenView Data Exchange Import

Started at 6/23/06 4:59 PM
Import mappings set for
Processing XML file OrgPersons.xml_1.xml
on entity HeaderReading data from XML file written at 23/06/2006 from Microsoft Excel
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 1)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 2)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 3)

(Errors from file Persons related to Organizations_imp_error.log)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 1)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 2)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 3)
Entity not defined: ORGANIZATIONS (id = 4)

Any suggestions?
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

I can't help with how to do the PARENT_RELATION techniques, but I can say that it looks like you don't need to.

If the organisations all exist - created in the first import - then just set the person record's "organisation" field to SAPID. IN the mapping you will need to set "reference to" to the org field that has the unique SAPID.

I hope this makes sense?
Back2Future
Trusted Contributor.

It doesn't work ..

If You import ORGANIZATIONS and then PERSONS with SEARCHCODE related to SAPID of ORGANIZATIONS, no PERSONS will be related to ORGANIZATIONS ..

David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Oh, Sorry? We do it this way but we are 4.5? Does 5.0 allow a person to be a member of multiple Organisations?

Are there any Schema visio or pdfs for 5.0. The 4.5 ones were just posted on the forums - and not easy th find.

Cheers