Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD45ViewRules.cmd

Highlighted
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

SD45ViewRules.cmd

I have run SD45ViewRules.cmd against our test/development environment and we seem to have alot of issues, rules cannot be deserialised, can you tell me exactly what this means and what the impact these rules could have on our environment?

Jay
9 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SD45ViewRules.cmd

That means that the rule manager cannot parse the encoded strings. This is not good. Follow the instructions of this program on how to delete the rules that cannot be deserialized.
menes fhtagn
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi George,

This is not just affecting a few rules, the list is fairly extensive so im not sure deleting all these rules is an option for us.

What possible implications could this have on our environment i.e. our live environment.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Jay,

You can't do otherwise. If the rule cannot be deserialized it cannot be used. So really there is no much you can do.
menes fhtagn
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

So what your saying is that the rules that cannot be deserialised are NOT being used?

Jay
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, that's the impression I got. If a rule is unable to deserialized that means that OVSD cannot parse it and if it cannot parse it how could use it?
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

that is interesting. I have run this in the past and found rules like Jay. However the rules appeared to work ok when tested so we left them as they were but noted that if a rule didn't work in the future to take this into consideration.

I wonder of the deserialisation tool reports with 100% accuracy.

Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Ive opened a case with HP so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

this is the reply I received from HP

Hello!

I have taken your case with the following description:
I have run sd45viewrules.cmd and the log file shows a number of ours
rules could not be deserialised, does this mean that the rule is not
used? are these rules corrupt?

This is a known issue. You can overview it at the followinf web site:
http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM007071
If a rule cannot be deserialized any more it is advised to delete it as
it makes ServiceDesk environment unstable.

Hope this information is helpful and it clears up the issue.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

I logged a few questions last year about this tool and got the same "definitive" reply - ie if the tool says a rule can't be deserialised, then that rule is useless and won't/can't ever execute. HP said there is no way to get any info about what the rule was, and that it should be deleted.
Of course it's worrying because you don't know which rules you've lost....unless you have a detailed design to compare back to.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au