Did you mean: 

SD4.5 Upgrade From SP16 to SP24

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
testingha_1

SD4.5 Upgrade From SP16 to SP24

Dear all,

I have SD 4.5 SP16 installed on a windows 2000 server with an oracle database, and i have tons of customizations and forms and custom fields created and used, not to mention 20000 service calls. I need to upgrade from SP16 to SP24, and i would like to know if there is any danger of loosing any of my work, or data while doing this upgrade, and is it a straight forward installation procedure. and i would like to know if someone has a detailed backup and restore procedure i can use.

Thank you,

Best Regards.
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SD4.5 Upgrade From SP16 to SP24

Hi,

the most recent one I did was from SP 11 to SP 20 with a tom of integrations to other applications, forms and rules etc. Highly customised.

It went well with not data loss and just a few minor issues which were quickly resolved.

Be sure to have a back up of the database ready and I also backed up the application servers themselves to allow for a quick rollback if necessary.

The other main thing to do is plan well and test, test, test. Due tot he high level of testing thay we did we had little issue in the upgrade. During the testing period we found a number of issues but that allowed us to develop a solution.

We identified that some minor functionality changed which allowed us to put together user communications so when we did the upgrade we told the users of the functionality change rather than have them report the change as a problem.

The planning and testing took longer that the actual upgrade but when you do it right you should not have any big issues / surprises.
testingha_1

Thanx for your reply, but the thing is that SD is not in my environment, and i am doing the upgrade as a contractor, so can you give me any hints where would my problems be, any issues, will there be a failure in the installation.anything like that.

thanx in advance.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I see. The SP install is quite easy. Unpack the SP and run the install files.

Stop all applicatin servers and integrations from accessing the DB. Do the DB upgrade then one app server. Bring bioth up and test it works. If no issues then upgrade amy integrations (agents and service pages) Test and then upgrade the app servers.

I have rarely had an issue with the actual install of the SP files but the issues I have seen is due to the changes that the SP makes to the DB, the logic behind the application, or integrations when the developers have changed something.

Be sure to read the documentation that comes with the SP to see if any of the changes / updates will affect anything that you have.

With the SP you will be installing there is an option to update the DB for CLOB for 4k fields. I would recommend doing this at a different time that the DB upgrade if this is a requirement as it can take a long time (provided you get another downtime window).

Who's responsiility is it to do the testing yours or the company's? Thats what takes the most time I find.
testingha_1

Well, i dont have a problem with installation itself, but the aftermath,i dont want the server to go on crashing, you see, but anyway, we provide support for the bank who has the SD application, and i am doing the upgrade because of a missing style sheet, i mean whenever i export a view to an html file i get this error about a missing style sheet. and the fix for this exists in service pack 24. so thats it mainly. and about the testing you mean pre-testing or post testing?

Thank you
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

by testing I mean both.

Vital to do pre testing and test everything works ok. One example issue which was a major one and not documented in the SP notes was that in going to SP 20 from SP 11 we lost the ability to fire a UI rule pop up notification when we changed a field from one value to another.

the way we did this in SP 11 was via a workaround that someone found and we used this quite well. In SP 20 the developers closed the ability to do the workarround so we lost this functionality and had to develop other ways to achieve the same thing. We also had to communicate to the users the new way that we put in.

I see the SP install as the smallest piece fo work to be done for an upgrade and that the pre and post testing take up the most time.

Just think of risk and impact as the SP 20 upgrade should be under change control. Chnage control should require a level of testing and backout also.
testingha_1

Thanks alot for your replies, i shall start setting up a similar test environment, and tackling around with it. thank you for your help.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event