Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD performance issues

Highlighted
SWATI SHARMA
Honored Contributor.

SD performance issues

My SD 4.5 server is responding very slow from last two months i m observing that it is taking almost 4-5 minutes for the client to get opend after login.Creating a service call via service pages is very slow.Is dis a database issue plz guide me.Hw to increase the response time.

Regards
Swati
9 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SD performance issues

It could be just about anything.
Why not take a closer look at your system? Start with the basics... network traffic, mem/cpu utilization on the appserver host, then the database host and so on.

You can also try and start the client with the /benchmark switch and see what results you get. If you don't know what it is, simply run a search here in the forums.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

When you start the client take a look at Task Manager and the processor being used by misc applications on the client. A lot of times you will find a virus scanner might be responsible for your Service Desk system slowness. If that checks out ok check the Service Desk Application Server that you are connecting to and see if your Virus Scanner is using a lot of processor.
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

What is the size of the cache directory on the client?

If it is too big, then it means that the delay is because it is trying to load all this cache from the server, and what that cache data might be? too many views is one good example.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

If it is fast after login and only slow during login, it sounds like a dns issue. Check that your dns can resolve the hostname from the client. I had a customer whose primary dns was changed the week before and the secondary dns never worked. Logon time was like 8-10 minutes but was fast once logon on successfully.
SWATI SHARMA
Honored Contributor.

I hav attached the snapshot of the benchmark.

Kindly suggest.

JoHo
Super Contributor.

Maybe too simple, just an idea...

If the response time is especially slow on client startup: How many items does the view contain that is displayed when you start the GUI? I had a similar situation and the reason for the slow startup was that the initial view shown contained tenthousands of servicecalls - startup took such a long time because all the data had to be pulled from the DB. Speed that up by reducing the number of items shown in the view.

Also, did you try the usual things like restart the system, purge the cache, cleanup client temp directory, restart SSP server?
SWATI SHARMA
Honored Contributor.

The view shows only 2000 items at a time.
I purged the cache,restartd the system and also deleted the temp folder.But i think this is not the issue.

One more thing the client and server are on the same machine.
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Is the client faster when opening on the Server itself?. Make sure you do not have any date calculations in your view on startup maybe try to use a "To Do Overview" when you log off and on to see if that improves performance. We have this issue a couple of months back and it was the Virus Scan was scanning everything twice when first opening up in the morning but was fine after that as long as you were using it every couple of hours. Look at what applications are using CPU when you first start the client on both App Server and Workstation.
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Your benchmark response time is quite good. Only bottleneck seems to be the client. Is this happening to all users or just some ?
If all users, it could be the views that they use on startup. Remove calculated fields from views and check if your views.dat is large. If your clients are pulling massive views.dat each time, that will slow things down. If only some users are affected, check their PC specifications, get them to logon on other user's PC who does not have the slow response. May need to increase their PC's specifications or maybe the jvm for the client.