Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD inbound e-mail format

Highlighted
OV IT Service M
Occasional Advisor

SD inbound e-mail format

Hello,
How to insert in the fields of service call via SD inbound E-mail?

what are the format that should be written in the inbound e-mail body?
for example I want to choose Staus = Assigned.

we are running SD 4.5 SP17 under windows
9 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: SD inbound e-mail format

Hello,

Normally, the status of a Service Call created via inbound E-mail would be assigned via the template used.

I am not aware of a way to assign the service via the email message. You could imagine, however, creating DB rules that would assign a service (other than the service from the template), based on either key words in the email subject or body. Given that this interface is designed primarily for end users, it would not work reliably unless the email itself was generated via some form in your email client.

-Josh
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

There are several email commands and these can be viewed/configured under Admin Console, System Panel, email. You can also email your incoming address with a message with a subject=help and it will list the commands and some info.

The update email command can change the values of fields in a service call. By default the incoming message must have subject=Update ID where ID is the service call id. Then the Body has the fields and the values.

This is an extract from the OVSD Client Help (I am often amazed how useful the help is! I just did an index search in help on email.)

The service call specified can be updated based on attribute values entered. Enter service call fields you want to modify, followed by an = or a : and the value. Each field and value must be on its own line.

We have a web page that emails an update to a service call in.

Hope that is what you were after.
David Iannucci
Regular Collector

David: my client help (sp17) is much less informative that yours, it seems.

I'm being very frustrated by this myself. I am trying to create a new SC by email, and I keep getting the reply that my new ticket creation failed because I hadn't assigned a value to required field "actual start". In normal use of the client, this field is filled in by the template. Where are the (normal) templates in all this? If I look in my admin console settings, what are called "Email templates" seem to be nothing more than templates for the email reply that will be sent after a particular action has occurred.

There must be some way for me to specify in my new SC creation which template to start from. I tried Template="template name", with and without quotes, in the body of my message, but no go.

I haven't tried actually assigning "actual start" in my message body, because it shouldn't be that way. There must be a template that is used in the creation of these tickets (although presumably it wouldn't be the default for a given user, because SD doesn't know who is sending the email).

Sorry if this is a bit rambling. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Dave
Don't believe everything you think.
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Look in the admin console in the rubric for managing inbound email. You will find there a tab that describes the templates used for creating service calls from inbound mail.

-Josh
David Iannucci
Regular Collector

Thanks for the response, but the only thing I can find in SP17 is Admin Console > System Panel > Email. There are tabs for Email Commands and Email Templates, but there doesn't seem to be anything like what I'm looking for.

Dave
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Dave,

So you have found where the templates are specified. Now that you know the name of the template, go to the Data->Templates->Service Call area, find your template, and modify the values as for any other template.

-Josh
David Iannucci
Regular Collector

Thanks again, but your response still doesn't make any sense to me. I think this would be a good time to bring a screenshot into it :-) Here's what I am talking about when I say "email template". I can find nothing other than this, and there is no connection, AFAICT, to the "normal" templates which are used to populate a record with data.

Dave
OV IT Service M
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dave,
Wish this finds you well
you can go to system panel>E-mail > inbound E-mail addresses tab then create new address for example servicedesk@servername.corp then choose your service call template which was created.

I wish this is what you need

David Iannucci
Regular Collector

Well, geez, that was it. Thanks. Somehow I had managed to be "blind" to what was on that tab, obsessed with the tab called "Email templates".

Also, now that I look back at the on-line help, it does give as one of the instructions for setting up inbound email: "Enter one or more Inbound E-mail Addresses for Service Desk and link them to a service call templates." But I must have overlooked this too. It's easy to overlook.

It would be nice if the documentation was better, but I'm sure this is a complaint that comes up often :-(

Thanks,
Dave
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event