Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD databse SP 17, server, client SP 15 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

SD databse SP 17, server, client SP 15 ?

And one last question.. the customer has upgraded SD to SP 17. Is the alternative; downgrading server and client (but not database) possible ?

I'm asking this, because customer is experiencing multiple problems with SP17, especially with DB rules.

Best regards,

Andrej
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: SD databse SP 17, server, client SP 15 ?

Hello Anderj,

If your client hasn't kept backup before upgrading to SP17 advise them to have patience and wait for SP18. There is no automatic procedure for downgrading the DB, you must make it by hand and it is a nightmare.

All components (application server, webapp, service pages and java client) must have the same version.
menes fhtagn
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

George,

do you have any information on when SP 18 will be released and which bugs fixed ?

Regards,

Andrej
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

Forgot to ask you, if there is any written procedure regarding database downgrade ?
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

The only db downgrade is done via hand, bad juju.

The best way, restore from backup prior to sp installation.

rule of thumb, db/client/appsvr/event/agent all must be at same revision to work harmoniously. Reason, patches introduce changes to the db schema (maybe not all, but most) once upgraded the schema has changed.

Once upgraded client/appsvr/event/agent require uninstall to roll back.

I have no sp18 info as of yet.
hth
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Rene Landman
New Member.

Concerning the questions when SP18 will be available, I've been informed by an HP engineer this will be at the end of this month (Februari 2006). In this SP also the unlimited customer fields issue (urging for a lot of users) should be included.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Andrej,

There is no procedure for downgrading. You must do it by hand. Here is my sad story about SP14. I installed SP14 after testing it but there was a bug that I hadn't caught at testing. It was a blocking one (at this time I hadn't found the workaround) so I decided to roll back to SP13.

Step #1
Keep a backup of the current version to another environment.
Step #2
Restore the backup you had before the upgrade (If you hadn't one, sorry to say but you are screwed!)
Step #3
Locate the items that were created or modified AFTER the upgrading (the easy part)
Step #4
Export them (nightmare, especially if you have relations) from the system with the newer version
Step #5
Import them to the system with the older version (man, THIS IS NIGHTMARE) and pray to your $DEITY that this will work.

However if you don't care about the items created or modified after the upgrade, just restore the db backup you had before the upgrade and of course install again all components to the version before the upgrade.

As I said earlier If you haven't a backup before the upgrade you are in deep s**t.
menes fhtagn
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

George,

thank you for explanation.

nightmare inded :(

Regards,

Andrej