Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Reports

Highlighted
Durga Srinivas
Regular Collector

SD Reports

Hi All,
I need some information on the various kinds of reports that can be generated from the service desk and are usually needed for Business & Service managers.I know that in most of the situations, these reports are specific to a customer needs but i am looking for is , based on your experience (in various projects with different domains)what are the different kinds of reports(KPI's for different service desk entities) that are usually needed for a business.

I have also heard about Westbury's report packs, but not sure on what is the level of functionality it provides. Can somebody please provide me your experiences on Westbury's report packs and also some information on any documents that will help in understaing the westbury's report pack features.

My interests are mainly to understand the various kinds of reports (that can be generated from service desk )and how they are useful to my organization in managing their IT in a better way.

Environment
------------

Service Desk Version : SD 4.5 with SP21
Report Generation Software : Crystal reporter

Many Thanks
Durga
7 REPLIES
Durga Srinivas
Regular Collector

Re: SD Reports

Guys,
It would be of great help if someone can share their experiences on SD reports.

Many Thanks
Durga
Tim Schmitt_4
Frequent Visitor

Hi Durga.

We use Westbury Report Manager and I think it's a pretty good tool. The main advantage of using Report Manager is that that all of the Service Desk fields are defined and ready to use in reports because Westbury has developed a custom "universe" (this is a business objects term similar to a Crystal library) for Service Desk. It's a quick way to start creating reports without needing to understanding the underlying data structure of Service Desk. Additionally, they provide some canned reports that can give you some ideas on what kinds of reports can be generated and how it can be accomplished.

Although I'm not directly involved with reporting, some of the more interesting KPI's to me are:

Number of calls, incidents or workorders closed by person or workgroup (shows workgroup volume)
Average duration of service calls or incidents (shows workgroup speed)
Calls closed inside and outside of the deadline (service performance)
Changes that exceed a given change window
Number of problems open and closed in a given time period

Tim

Durga Srinivas
Regular Collector

Many thanks!!
Can i have sample snapshots of SD reports using crystal reports?

Thanks
Durga
stoney_2
Regular Collector

hi durga,
http://westbury-it.com/ is the westbury page. We are using it, has out of box reports,one huge benefit which we havent implemented yet, is the sceduler and web stuff, dashboards etc. It is easy to create reports, but care is needed to check quality etc. We clone our prod db and reports are run off the copy. We have different support areas creating their own reports similiar to those in previous post, I have also used it to extract CIs, makes, models etc to allow for reloads, build mailing list of users,listing blocked users etc.

cheers

peter
its a long way to the top if ya wanna
Tim Schmitt_4
Frequent Visitor

Hi Durga.

There are some resources you can access to see sample reports from Westbury, although I wish they did have more samples on their website. If you look at this document, on page two, there are a couple of reports but it's hard to see the detail.

http://westbury-it.com/westbury-it.com/files/Doc/Solution%20briefs/SDI_letter_2007-03-R2_web.pdf

Also, if you send a message to Westbury, I'm sure that they can provide you with a demonstration of the software.

Tim
Bo Pyskow
Collector

Hi,

I have been facing the same issues.

Problem for me is that you have to be very good at creating relations in the database, when you using Crystal. The way the database is build have had even my SQL gurus scratch their hair (or lack of)

What im doing everytime i need to do a report, is to make my Database admin create a SQL script, and add that as a command, when i start my report.

That has saved me for many hours of work.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Bo,

You wrote "The way the database is build have had even my SQL gurus scratch their hair (or lack of)" and frankly I fail to see why!

Service Desk is so very well designed that you can document Items, fields and relations in just one query!

Of course in order to use a report tool like crystal reports you must be familiar with the structure of SD's databse, but it's very easy to understand the structure! It's only takes a query!

Have a look at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1080043

menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event