Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD_Event from DB rule no longer works after upgrade to SP18

Highlighted
David Schnorr
Trusted Contributor.

SD_Event from DB rule no longer works after upgrade to SP18

We upgraded this past weekend to SP18. We have a few DB rules which create work orders that are attached to the service call when it is created. These no longer are working. Looking at the log file it looks like the rules are triggering successfully. I also tried running the sd_event command from the command line and it successfully generates a work order. It seems to be the combination of calling SD_Event from a DB rule. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas what might be causing the WO to not be generated?
6 REPLIES
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SD_Event from DB rule no longer works after upgrade to SP18

What version did you upgrade from? at some point the calling convention has changed. Now you don't have to escape quotation marks with backslashes.
David Schnorr
Trusted Contributor.

We upgraded from SP11.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

David,

Have you tried turning on the DB rule debugging? (Not sure which SP this became an option with.)

If not, and if this is an option in your environment, try going to the Administrator Console (Tools, Options) -> System Panel -> General Settings and find a checkbox for "Rule Manager Debug" about halfway down. Check that box and then restart the app server. Afterward, you should see a lot more detail in your server.log about which db rules are firing and when.

BE CAREFUL: Turn this off after you have some test data to look at, because it will generate a fair amount of logging quickly. Better yet would be if you have a test server to try this on so that you don't have to worry about too many rules being fired and can narrow the problem.

I had some issues where it looked like sd_event wasn't being called in a DB rule, and it turned out the condition I was looking for was being set too late by another db rule. Thus, I had to revise my condition or force them to execute in order. The debug definitely helped to track it down.

Good luck! Hope this is at least a little helpful. Post back if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Chris
David Schnorr
Trusted Contributor.

I disabled all conditions to ensure that the rule was firing whenever a ticket was created. Looking at the logs, it appears to be firing correctly. Only issue is that there is no work order created.

It seems odd to me that it did work correctly until upgrading from SP11 to SP18.

Any other thoughts?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi David,

It might be worth checking that a simple command works and also to see what the agent has done to the parameters. For example, set up something like test.bat which just contains:

@echo %* >> c:\temp\logfile.txt

alter your DB rule to use test.bat rather than sd_event and check that the logfile contains the paramters to the sd_event.

Hope this helps

Ruth

PS some points would be nice for the people who responded.
http://www.teamultra.net
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Did you also upgrade the agent?
Can you post the command line as it appears in the DB rule?
You can also try enabling debug at the agent level by starting the agent with /DEBUG /MONITOR. After that, there will be a log file called logagent.txt which will show if there are any errors when the agent executes your command.

Also try it with some simple commands like Ruth suggested.

Gyula