SD DBase backup via sd_dbconfwizard.bat

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

SD DBase backup via sd_dbconfwizard.bat

Hello to all.
I need to backup the SD DBase via CLI using sd_dbconfwizard.
If i want it to do via GUI i have use the key "-internal"
But if i want use the CLI i must use the "-LOADDATABASE" key (if i'm right understand it) But when i trying to do it i receive the message, which you can see in attach. Can anybody help me?
11 REPLIES
Oguz Kutlu Asi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: SD DBase backup via sd_dbconfwizard.bat

Hi,

Do not rely on sd_dbconfwizard to backup database. Use database native backup techniques to backup database.

For MS SQL, you can build a maintenance plan using SQL backup to backup database online, or you can use backup software like HP Openview Data Protector to have an online backup. You can detach database and copy .mdf and .ldf files of service desk db for an offline backup too.

Use native methods also if you are using oracle. You can export data, can have online backup with DP vice versa.
What's right is right, whether or not God exists
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Oguz Kutlu Asik,
thank you for your help, but i know about native techniques or tools like Data Protector or TSM. But i want use this sd_dbconfwizard because this can be restore on SQL or Oracle and is more simple for usage... And this option is present, why it can't be using? It's simpler
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, in my experience sd_dbconfwizard is pretty good. It even allows you to save database from MSSQL and restore to Oracle or vice versa.

You just need to run it with -internal switch, choos save (or whatever it says) and on the target choose restore...
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Rodovan,
yes, you are right. But i ask about using the CLI of this programm... Can you help me here? How to backup/restore dbase via CLI, not via GUI?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

You can do this by editing the file sd_dbconfwizard.bat (usually in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\bin) so that you add
-internal
before the %1 on the line beginning java.

Best take a copy of the file before you start of course !!!

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Ruth!
Glad to see you again!
Well, but i... if i start sd_dbconfwizard with "/?" key i can see many different keys with they descriptions, which told how to use this in command line (CLI)... Am i wrong in understanding of this information?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I am not really sure what you mean but if you edit the file as I suggested, you will find the "Maintain DB" option available even when you satrt it using start>Programs ...

Hope this helps

Ruth
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello again,
well... sorry for my bad english...
I'm understanding you.
For best understanding me, just do next steps -
1)in CLI go to ...\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\bin
2) execute "sd_dbconfwizard /?"
3)On your screen you will see the result like on my screenshot...

After all this steps i want to understand - are the keys, which are showing here, can be use? If so, then - how?

As i understand, some of this keys like "-LOADDATABASE" can be use for starting maintenance of dbase in silent mode...

Your comments?
If i'm again still ununderstending - sorry... I'm trying again with other words :-)
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello again,
well... sorry for my bad english...
I'm understanding you.
For best understanding me, just do next steps -
1)in CLI go to ...\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\bin
2) execute "sd_dbconfwizard /?"
3)On your screen you will see the result like on my screenshot...

After all this steps i want to understand - are the keys, which are showing here, can be use? If so, then - how?

As i understand, some of this keys like "-LOADDATABASE" can be use for starting maintenance of dbase in silent mode...

Your comments?
If i'm again still ununderstending - sorry... I'm trying again with other words :-)
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi there,

I am sorry that I misunderstood you. I have just tried editing a copy of db_confwizard (see attached) to add
-LOADDATABASE and put a semi-colon (;) between first the 2 paramters (%1 %2) of the java call.
and it works if you make the data and repo files the first 2 parameters of your call.

Hope this helps

Ruth
sia2003
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Ruth,
i'm very surprise about such solution... it's very strange what the official way not working, as it was described...
But you... It was wonderful, perfect and so on.
You are again help me. Thank you Ruth, very much!