Did you mean: 

SD 5.1 question about custom fields

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

SD 5.1 question about custom fields

What is the limit to custom fields in SD 5.1? I know they were unlimited as of sp? in sd4.5, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in adv
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
8 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SD 5.1 question about custom fields

Unlimited custom fields for 4.5 came with SP 18-20. Ovsd 5.1 was frozen to SP 17 levels of functionality (or less).

Therefore the custom fields would available would be similar to that of OVSD 4.5 SP 17. I will check to see if I have the exact count of custom fields but you will not be able to create new ones once the fields provided have been used up.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Marc,

Attached is a spreadsheet which I got by running an SQL query againast the database.

Hope it helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

If problem is anything to go by it look similar to 4.5.
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

Marc,

They are not unlimited in SD5.1. Even worse, the number available is about 50% of the quantity we were promised. Our ability to customize the tool (at the Service Request end anyway) is completely stymied.

Don't know if HP will help you any more than they helped us. They said we shouldn't have been promised that # and that the tool was not going to be expanded. All protests about tool flexibility fell on deaf ears as they repeated their mantra: "but OVSD 5.1 is different... its not designed for that". Bla bla bla bla.

Translate that into proper english, and you get "We built a ridiculously inflexible tool, but thats ok because our client's needs are irrelevant". "Enterprise level" tool my ass. Every tool out there worth a damn doesn't consider this a problem. Service Desk Express, Heat, Remedy, even TrackIT.

Shame on you HP. SHAME
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

I don't have the exact #'s at hand, but I'll try to get them for you tomorrow, for now I'll advise you to use your Short Text (40 char) fields and custom code fields with extreme prejudice.
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

thank you ALL for your input, Ruth the spreadsheet kicks butt (thanks lady ;)!

=R= ... I agree sir... I agree... gotta luv HP somedays ;)

If anyone comes up w/ an exact count it would be nice to include as a closure to this. Thanks, gotta run back into training.

~Marc
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

Marc,

Do you want exact #'s for Service Request or for every module?
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

Hello,
I was looking for exact #'s for all, but the information I've gotten so far answered most questions, if you have the info I'd like to know.

Thanks again. Sorry for delay.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event