Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD 5.0 Duration not calculated when setting Act finish with DB rule

Highlighted
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

SD 5.0 Duration not calculated when setting Act finish with DB rule

Hi!

In our SD 5.0 solution, I have changed the default DB rule "Set Actual duration when closed" to also update service calls that get status=solved. These calls are automatically closed later with other rules (used for sc that are not 'closed on first call).

The problem is that when I set Actual Finish with a DB rule, Actual Duration is not calculated, unlike when it is done manually. Actual Start is set when the sc is created.

We use Service Hours.

regards,
Thorfinn
3 REPLIES
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Re: SD 5.0 Duration not calculated when setting Act finish with DB rule

Update info regarding this question:
I made two simple rules, one UI rule and one DB rule.

Both rules updated Actual Finish correctly, but only the UI rule resulted in a calculation of Actual Duration.

Why is this so?
Does anyone have any idea how to get the calculation to take place in both cases?

The UI Rule:
"When a value has changed
where Description (*) is (exactly) UI RULE TEST 1
AND Status (*) equals Solved
TestUISetActFinish (Update Data) Actual Finish set to (Current date)"

The DB Rule:
"When service call is created or modified
where Description (*) is (exactly) DB RULE TEST 1
AND Status (*) equals Solved
UpdateDataTestDBRuleActFinish (Update Data) Actual Finish set to (Current date)"
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Just throwing out wild ideas here.

Is it possible that an update performed by DB Rules Actions doesn't count as an "update" for DB Rule Conditions?
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

> Is it possible that an update performed
> by DB Rules Actions doesn't count as
> an "update" for DB Rule Conditions?

I don't think it is a DB Rule that calculates the Actual Duration field, at least I am unable to find one (and there were only a few default rules before I started making new ones).

I haven't figured out yet what functionality updates/calculates the Actual Duration when manually entering/updating the Actual Finish field (changing the Actual Start will also trigger this update).

If I knew, I might be able to direct the DB rule to this event or rule or whatever it is. I do not want to have to calculate Actual Duration manually, using Service Hours which can be dynamically changed to match holidays and likewise.

regards,
Thorfinn