Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD 4.5.SP17 advanced find issue

Highlighted
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

SD 4.5.SP17 advanced find issue

Hi people,
Id like to turn off the advanced find. This is because I cant restrict a user to see only what I want he can see, by what is setting in your role. Using the Advanced Find he can use the filter options other than the filter setted on the views of the role. Id like, at least, that some fields of the Advanced Find once filled, remaining with this text.By example , the filter options of the used view.
Any ideas are very welcome.
Rgds,
Rubem
12 REPLIES
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: SD 4.5.SP17 advanced find issue

Just up.
Where are the experts of this phorum ?
Tnxs anyway.
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Hi Rubem.

What version of Service Desk are you using?

In Service Desk 4.5 SP20, there is an option in the general settings area that allows you to apply the view filters to the advanced find filters automatically although a user can override the filter settings. There is no way I know of to lock the filter setting down.

I think that the only way to ensure that a person can see specific items within Service Desk is folder entitlements. If a person has access does not have access to view a specific folder, there is no way through advanced finds or through views that a person can see the item.

Tim
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Rubem,

I think this is by design. To my knowledge you can't limit what filters the user is allowed to use for Advanced find.

However, if the role setting "Customize System Views Allowed" is not checked (i think) that the user won't be able to alter the filters used by the view.
menes fhtagn
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Tim , your idea regarding the folders maybe a good stoneway. I´ll try to.
Btw I have a question.
I have some workorders and changes created by a user. Id have to find a way to put those calls into the folder. I dont know if I set the folder in the WS would be only I have to do, but Ill try.
Hi Georges , thanks too. I did the reset of customize option of the role.
Tim , I cant see what you said about the SP20.
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Hi Rubem.

Attached is a screenshot of my SP20 admin console. You may or may not see the option highlighted in yellow as it depends on the service pack you use.

Tim

Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Tim. Great, but this is for everyone, I guess. It would be good if this is an customization option of a role.
Tks anyway.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

You don't need to upgrade to SP20 for this. This setting exists from SP16.

However if you are not planning to go to 5.1, SP20 is recommended!
menes fhtagn
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

George, Im talking about the option that Tim showed. Im using SP17 and I dont have this option. Im planning to do an upgrade to the last SP (23 I guess) and all SP in the future until the ServiceManager release and then I hope migrate to that.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ruben, I don't know why this option doesn't exist in your system, but this setting is there since SP16.

It's ITSM007866

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM007866

I'm quoting from this page:

Problem

Service call > New Service call > Person Quick Find / Advanced Find

Customer has created a View with a filter. When he then opens a new Service call
and clicks the Quick Find button or selects the Advanced Find, the filter isn't
applied there. This is by design, but the customer would like to have this
changed.

Fix

An option has been added to Service Desk to allow user apply the filters in view
to Quick Find, Advanced Find and Overview Actions results.

Solved in Service Desk 4.5 SP16
menes fhtagn
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi George,
Let me try to clarify my problem. Right now , I have a group of users and this group have an unique Role. In this Role I put some views with some filters. This is because these users cant see the WO of the others , only WO of them. However , with Advanced Find the users can see all WO that they want because the filters of base views is not obey. This is a bad situation. The facility you show me is a global option not a Role option. I understand that Advanced Find is necessary but not in this case.
Rgds,
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, in that case the problem is solved easily. Use folder entitlement.

If you want a group of people NOT to see items that don't belong to them, folder entitlement is the only way.

For here we have defined two folder hierarchies, one for our partners and one for internal use. Each partner has full access (except delete) to a subtree of the "partner hierarchy" and doesn't have even "view" rights for anything out of their subtree.

The hierarchy looks like this

Disabled Items
Internal Items
...subtree
Partners
.Partner 1
.Partner 2
..etc

menes fhtagn
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi George ,
Thanks for the answer.
The last but not the least question ... I will try your solution asap. Are you sure that , using the advanced find , the user couldnt see another WO or call out of the folder by example , using ID numbers ? or search criteria as category and so on...
Id wish to have an option associated in the roles to restrict the user to user the views in the role with the filters of the views.
Rgds,
Rubem