Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD 4.5 Recording Approval Vote through SMS

Highlighted
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

SD 4.5 Recording Approval Vote through SMS

Hi,
We are using SD 4.5. We have configured SD to send SMS notification whenever a person needs to approve an item.
Now the requirement is that if this persons replies with "YES" or "NO" then the approval vote should get registered in SD accordingly (i.e. Approved or Rejected).
Has any one done this before.
Looking for some suggestions/ examples.

Regards,
Bhuvnesh
9 REPLIES
sandeep_
Honored Contributor.

Re: SD 4.5 Recording Approval Vote through SMS

Hi Bhuvanesh,

You can achieve this with loadobject utility. Check the Data Exchange Administrator guide for this.

Regards,
Sandeep
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sandeep,
Thanks for response.
I know that loadobject can be used to update an item in service desk.
But I am not sure how this will be called.
For example I receive an SMS on a certain number with Yes and change no. Then how do i call loadobject?
Can you please throw some more light on this. Appreciate your help.
Regards,
Bhuvnesh
Raman Shcharbak
Honored Contributor.

AFAIK loadobject is for SD 5
For SD 4.5 - sd_event
But i have no idea how can you refer to specific approver when updating your object
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Bhuvnesh,
In 4.5, the utility is sd_event (loadobject is the version 5 equivalent) and to use it you will need to set up an import mapping for an approval vote. It is documented in chapter 5 of the data exchange guide.

An alternative approach would be to use the web api.

Hope this helps, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Hi,
I am clear about the use of sd_event. Question is how to invoke it and how to pass the sms reply details (Approval status(Yes or No),related change number,approver name or mobile number) as an attribute to sd_event so that it updates correct change record and correct approval vote.
Regards,
Bhuvnesh
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Bhuvnesh,

I am nor sure now I have looked at the fields available on an approavl vote import mapping that sd_event would work.

I think you might have to look into using the web api but I have absolutely no idea how you kick that off from an inbound SMS message.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

I'm with Ruth on that. I'm afraid that you cannot use sd_import or any other Data Exchange for approval votes. Approval votes are like generic relations, HP didn't forget to include them to "Data Exchange", it's their nature that prohibits data exchange use.

Let me elaborate on that. Approval is an "object" (it's superentity is "Object") embedded to service today entities. Approval vote is an entity that has n to 1 connection with Approval. However since approval doesn't have an OID and the "Object" superentity also doesn't has an OID, approval vote is actually linked to the entity that "carries" the approval to which is linked. This can be any service today entity and that's the reason why in Data Exchange, in approval vote the only available field is "Approver".

You should use a web-api application for this.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Just a clarification: sd_event is also a Data Exchange utility. The difference between sd_event and sd_import is that with the first you pass attributes and values through command line arguments while the latter requires an xml file.
menes fhtagn
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Hi,
I agree with you. While trying to use approval update I would definitely work with its superentity (ex: change). I will check about web API.

I was going through some links and I think that TelAlert has a functionality whereby users can select some responses on messages and based on their response some commands/actions can be executed on application. (I am still not sure whether TelAlert really does this).
Can we use it this way then:
Service desk uses TelAlet to notify users about a pending approval task. It gives 2 options 1 for approved 2 for rejected. User selects the option and depending on that TelAlet calls webapi to approve or reject item.

Has any one used such a functionality? Hope existing users of TelAlert would be able to help me in getting this clarified.

Regards,
Bhuvnesh