Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

SD 4.5 Application Server Performance Problem

Highlighted
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

SD 4.5 Application Server Performance Problem

Hi,
In Our enviornment SD 4.5 is running with SP13 Win 2003 server and backend database is Oracle 9.2.0.5 which resides on HP-UX 11.11.

As the load has increased on the system, I am facing performance problems. To restrict the same I have tried and increased Java Memory setting by modifying Sd_service.bat file. New seetings are as below:

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:
MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%
SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.
startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap
-method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

This doesn't seems to help much, and still lot of Database rules are Misbehaving and server performance is down. Request you to kindly let me know how to troubleshoot the same and also what would be the setting for 4 GB RAM server. I hope the settings which I have done are for 1 GB RAM Server.

Expecting an early response, as this is a production server.

Regards
Vikas Tatwani
"Experience is the toughest teacher as it takes Test first and gives lessons afterwards"
13 REPLIES
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SD 4.5 Application Server Performance Problem

Hello Vikas,

Depending on the usage of the server you could extend the memory to #Gb.
Java will then take a little over 3GB.

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Hi,
As per my observation, there are lot of scheduled tasks inline. How could I reduce these. I have tried deleting rules but all the rules are important for my environment. I hope this is the reason why mails are getting fired after 24 hrs.

Could anyone suggest in something where I can increase my server performance and should also not delete the rules.

One more observation is to use the web interface we have given it a name servicedesk so that users should access http://servicedesk. But in actual my DNS name is indel01sd01. In schedule tasks I am able to see rules with both the names in server name option. Does this hamper anywhere?

Regards
Vikas Tatwani
"Experience is the toughest teacher as it takes Test first and gives lessons afterwards"
Mark Teichmann
Super Contributor.

For many rules you have to select 'Execute once' to work correctly. If you omit this you get way too much scheduled tasks and your server slows down.
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Hi Mark
These things has already been taek care for.

Regards
Vikas
MarkvL
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Vikas,

If both names can be correctly be resolved by the DNS that should not be a problem.
You can verify this with a nslookup of both ip address and hostname.

Any errors in the logs or is there just a rule delay?

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Hi There,
There are no errors in the log file. Only thing is that there are 5000 scheduled tasks in line. All the rules which we have made are needed and cannot delete any. I hope this kind of problem is resolved in SP17, but we cannot upgrade to SP17 as it is having lot of other bugs.

Need help on how get rid of so many scheduled tasks so that things should work fine for me.

Regards
Vikas
Jeff Lawrence
Super Contributor.

what would the string look like if i wanted to change it to 2GB?

java -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M

Thanks!
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Jeff,

the setting you provided is for up to 1GB allocation.

I could be corrected on this but the last value -Xmx.... is the max value that the memory allocation should grow to. With that in mind setting this to -Xmx2000M should do it.

java -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx2000M

(As i said I could be corrected on this)
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Hi Jeff
Below mentioned is the example

So as an example

If it is 4 GB RAM server and you want to allocate 3 GB out of it then the settings will be

-Xmx = 4096M (Total physical memory - RAM)

Xms= 3 GB i.e. 3072M (Memory allocated to JVM).

-XX: MaxNewSize=2048M (approx.2/3 of 3GB)

-XX:NewSize=1024M (approx.1/3 of 3GB)

Hope this will help.

Regards
Vikas Tatwani
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.

Vikas,
In my experience 5000 scheduled tasks is a lot. Do you have this many open calls.

I try to design so I never have more that 1 scheduled task for a particular call at a time.
So if you want emails at 50% 75% and 100% of deadline you don't immediately allow 3 scheduled tasks to be raised.
Raise only the 50% one, when it fires raise the next and so on.You do this by reserving a number fields as a counter and using it in the conditions.

Are all your scheduled tasks for future dates. Any that are for past dates are either faultly or assigned to non existent application servers.(Except where they are a little bit behind because of the slow performance.)

There is no way to delete individual scheduled tasks.

Regards
Gerry

Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Hi
I have got the resolution, there is a Hotfix available with HP Support for the same.

Regards
Vikas Tatwani
Vikas Chander T
Super Contributor.

Solution provided by HP Labs
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Vikas,

Your suggestions near the end of this post don't seem to work. THe service refuses to start.

This is very confusing. The example 64/64/200/1000 for a 1 Gig machine doesn't match the suggestions. Does anyone know what the setting should be for a 2gig machine.

We only have 957 scheduled tasks and about 90 Service Call DB Rules. SP15

There seems to be little info on performance tuningor even what is acceptable.

Cheers