Running OVSD 4.5 on MC Service Guard Cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Badrinath H K
Collector

Running OVSD 4.5 on MC Service Guard Cluster

Hi,

I would want to know if Service Desk 4.5 is supported on MC Service Guard Cluster, if so does it support Active-Active mode.

Thanks and Regards,
Badrinath
5 REPLIES
Bhuvnesh
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: Running OVSD 4.5 on MC Service Guard Cluster

Hi,
I guess it must be.
But HP OV SD 4.5 has its own failover and load balancing functionalities. It is best to use these instead of external solutions like MC Service guard or veritas cluster service.

Regards,
Bhuvnesh
Robert Champion
Regular Collector

We only put the Oracle DBMS in a MC/ServiceGuard package. Each application server runs on it's own box (windows in our case).

The SD load balancing and failover will give you much better failover and load balancing than MC/ServiceGuard can. Clients seamlessly reconnect to the other server when one goes down. There is no interruption to client access on failure of a application server.

Failover of the Oracle MC/ServiceGuard package is not transparent to clients as they often see a timeout or error when the package is still failing over.

Hope that helps.
Badrinath H K
Collector

Dear Bhuvanesh and Robert,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Regards,
Badrinath
amykoh

Hi..
Thank for making it clear. I do have one question tho.

In the same environment as mentioned (but with SQL Server) where is the SQL app installed?...

On one server or on both?..

If its installed just on Server 1(with AppSvr 1), if this entire server goes down, the AppSvr 2 on Server 2 will not be able to run, right? Since it has to SQL is down.

Or should SQL be installed on both servers?..How would that work then?...

Hope someone can clarify.

Thanks

Cheers,
Amy
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Amy,

We install the database manager on other machines than the application servers.

You could install it on two servers and have a hot failover, although I could imagine that a failover might require the application server(s) to reconnect, which might not be transparent.

-Josh
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event