Rules stop working

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

Rules stop working

Hi all,

Running 4.5 with SP19 and I've been having a problem here with the rules for some time now. Every day they stop working more than once a day forcing me to do a restart to the application server service.

I've read similar problems like this around this forum and after reading, I think, all of them and the solutions given I've tried them all.

I've changes the installservice.bat to:

-XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M

When I try to change it to 128M and reinstall the service, it starts, but the rules just don't work, don't even start working.

The server has 4Gb of RAM.

Scheduled tasks are around 2000.

There are no out of memory or java errors on the logserver and after cheking the database structure it says that it's OK.

Thank you in advance.
14 REPLIES
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

Re: Rules stop working

Just checked the scheduled tasks and the correct number right now, at the moment when rules stopped working, is 4203 scheduled tasks.
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

Has anyone got any ideias ?...

Don't know what else to try...
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

when you changed the memory settings did you uninstall and reinstall the server service?

How many application services do you have running and on how many physical servers?

Regarding +4000 scheduled tasks are you getting this fugure from the
admin console?
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

Hi Mark,

Yes I reinstalled the service and if I tune it to 128 the service starts but the rules don't work. Don't know why this happens.

How many application services do you have running and on how many physical servers?

1 application server with usually around 60 to 80 persons connect to it

Regarding +4000 scheduled tasks are you getting this fugure from the
admin console?

No, through a query directly on the database which is on another physical server.
Ivan Sakharov
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hi
If average CPU load of your server is not very big (up to 50%) you can try to run multiple application servers on one physical machine. This will increase CPU load, but decrease load of app server and will help to the proper work of the Db rules.
Have a look here, or in Admin Guide under chapter 7: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1059608

Another suggestion is to increase -Xms from 200M as you post to 500M for example.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

is it possible to look at the rules that are creating the scheduled tasks and see if there is another way to achieve the same thing? I made a process change that reduced scheduled tasks from the 1000's to the 100's. The process change eliminated the need for the schedueld tasks.

Other option is posted above. Incease the number fo app servers to handle the tasks but any more that 4000-5000 tasks per app server may give you problems again.
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

I don't know much about the memory tuning even after reading some documentation on it I still have some doubts, even so, I tried as I've said to change the -XX:MaxNewSize= and newsize to 128M but when I do that the rules just don't work, the strange thing is that I've just tried today to change it to maxnewsize and newsize to 192M and everything is running well. So far the server has been running for 6 hours without any problems with the rules, although 6 hours without problems is obviously a normal thing, let me tell you that it's the best record from the last couple of weeks. I'll give it the weekend and see on monday how it behaves.

Didn't know that the multiple instances would have a positive impact on the performance and thought I had to have 2 different applications servers to actually have a significant impact on performance. I'll consider creating another instance first thing next week. Back to the chapter 7 of the manual :).

Thank you
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

try it out and see next week. It does really help provided that you have enough CPU and RAM on the box to support another app server or 2 on the same physical box.

You will need to create/copy the installservice.bat with a different name (installservice2.bat) and change the service name also (prefix it with a 2 also).

You need to create/copy a the serversettings.xml, change its name and then update the installservice2.bat to point to the new serversettings.xml file.

Then uninstall the existing service and reinstall it ans then install the new installservice2.bat.

Easy.
Ivan Sakharov
Honored Contributor.

As to me I can mention that going from 2 apps on 2 machines to 6 apps on 2 machines made very large improvement of performance of SD clients and removed all problems with malfunctioning of DB rules.
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

First thing that saw this morning was a problem with the Rules, they stopped working.

The memory tweak didn't do much from what I can see, will try to create another instance on the server to see how this may help.
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

I've created a second instance on the server to try this solution but after a while the logserver.txt gets is writing but nothing is being written except for the information regarding the start of the service on the logserver2.txt (created and set on the second instance to write there) which makes me believe that no rule is being executed through there.

What do I have to do to balance it?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

have you checked the setting for "Join Multiple Servers" for both of there app servers or check the serversettings.xml and ensure it is set to true.

What you can do is to move the scheduled tasks from the first server to the second and have then run from the second server which will help. Go into the scheduled tasks view. open a scheduled task, choose the reschedule option. You may need to stop the spp service of the first server and then choose to reschedule. Then bring up the other app service.

This may help some.
JHertz
Regular Contributor.

I don't have multiple servers, I have now multiple instances, should I set to true the JOINMULTIPLESERVERS?
Don't know if I do have to do this but I did it anyway and it's still only writing on the logserver.txt...
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I forgot you still only have 1 physical server. Can you keep them running and see if it helps as clients should be connecting to the 2nd instance which will help. You can check this in the admin console under security - audit - active application servers and click on the entery for eachserver to see the number of people connected to that application server instance.

How many client connections do you average per day?