The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Harini.G
Collector

Rules problem

Hi All,

We are working on SD 4.5 with SP4.

Suddenly, there is a problem with rules. Some rules are not working and there is lot of problem.

Pls help.

Thanks,
Harini.G
14 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Re: Rules problem

Hi
If that working yesterday, remember What are you doing before?

Vassili
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Harini,

Check the system load and allocated java memory to the server service. Sometimes overloading of a system can cause the Rule Manager to stop. This may be the case with you. Please check
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\bin\installservice.bat file for the memory allocated.

Also, check the logserver.txt file for error regarding Rule Manager.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Harini.G
Collector

Hi Saurabh,

Pls find the memory allocated details.

-XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M

Pls advise.

Rgds
Harini.G
Harini.G
Collector

Hi Saurabh,

I found some errors in the logserver file. I have attached the same for your reference. Kindly help me.

Rgds
Harini.G
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Hi Harini,

The log file seems to show that u have lots of scheduled tasks loaded on server.

Check first how many scheduled tasks u have now then restart the services and then check again the number of scheduled tasks.

If ur rules runs fine for sometime and the same state appears again then u need to create a new additional application server for load balancing..

Regards,
Akhil
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Harini,

Checked the logs. It seems that you have:

1. Memory issue. Increase the 64M to 128M and increase the MAX to 200M. Hope your server has that much. Also, uncomment the default help code. (rem)

2. You also seem to have a JAVA memory allocation issue. The Null pointer exception can be due to that. Try to reinstall JAVA once.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Harini.G
Collector

Hi Saurabh,

I have increased the memory in installservice.bat file as in the attached file.

Pls check and let me know if this is correct as I am doing this for the first time.

Thanks once again
Harini.G
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Harini,

It is correct except for the first parameter's value. Change that to 128M as well.

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=128M -XX:NewSize=128M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

That should give you a better server performance.

Regards,

Saurabh
Harini.G
Collector

Thanks a lot Saurabh,

But I still get the below error message in the server log file.

Wed, 05/04/2006 11:16:52 Characterset: US-ASCII
Wed, 05/04/2006 11:16:53 Rule: MAking SLA Default Action: Making SLA Default (Update Data) Entity: Servicecall
Wed, 05/04/2006 11:16:53 RuleManager Error:Updatejava.lang.NullPointerException
at com.hp.ifc.ev.rules.AppExecuteDataUpdate.update(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.rules.AppExecuteDataUpdate.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.dbrules.AppDBRuleManager.runActions(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.dbrules.AppDBRuleManager.runActions(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.dbrules.AppDBRuleManager.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.dbrules.AppDBRuleManager.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.ev.AppEventQueueReader.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Pls help.........

Rgds
Harini.G
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Harini,

Check all your rules to see if there are any active rules that point to a null entity. I mean if they use a parameter which was there earlier and now has been blocked or deleted, like a priority or a relation to a previously active SLA. Check the Make SLA default Rule first for the same.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh

PS: Can you paste the mentioned rule?
Harini.G
Collector

Hi Saurabh,

The rule is as below:

MAking SLA Default

Data Update

When service call is created, Validates only if one or more fields of conditions are modified, Medium equals Web; Status equals Registered

Making SLA Empty (Update Data) Make Service empty; Make Service;SN Name empty

Rgds
Harini.G
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Harini,

Is there a dependency of any kind on the values mentioned in this rule? I mean is there any field which has recently been made mandatory? A nul pointer exception means that there should be something which the code can not reach. Hence, I feel there is something being effected which doesn't exist anymore or which has been deactivated.

Regards,

Saurabh
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Harini,

Does any of your rules, impact a related call automatically? I just saw the bugs of SP4,
http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00033
Check if you can find your symptoms here.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Harini.G
Collector

Hi Saurabh,

I really appreciate your effort & patience in giving me immediate replies.

Will check on the same and confirm.

Rgds
Harini.G
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event