Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Rules for Problem/Work Order

Highlighted
Matt Winter
Regular Contributor.

Rules for Problem/Work Order

I have been trying and looking for a way that I can do the following, can anyone assist.

When a Problem Call w/Priority 1 is Created and Saved it creates a Work Order and copy's all details across and is assigned to specific workgroup/assignee.

It has to work in reverse as well, so if a Work Order is created and has a Priority of 1 it creates a Problem Call and copy's the data across. Is this possible?, I have tried various things but have not succeded.

Further Info:

SD 4.5 SP15 running on Win2003 SP1.
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Rules for Problem/Work Order

Hello Matt,

You can do that with a smart action. Create a smart action on work orders. As application you must define sd_dataform.bat.

As parameters

+"param_1=[value_1]" +"param_2=[value_2]" + ... +"param_n=[value_n]" -ForceNew

Where is the name of the form that you wish to be launched.

param_1, param_2, ..., param_n is the name of the field of the Problem and value_1, value_2, ..., value_n the name of the workorder field. Note that you have to put the values into braces "[]" in order to be expanded.

Also have in mind the follow limitations:
1. The command line on smart action has limited size, so you cannot insert too many fields.
2. If param_m is of type code then the code must have same values both for problems an workorders.
Eg, if the param is problem status it will fail unless the workorder status is the same with the same problem status.
menes fhtagn
Matt Winter
Regular Contributor.

HI thanks for your reply.

Please take into account i am not an SD expert and have been dumped with the job of administering the system as no one else wanted to do it. Is there no way to do this without intervention of our service desk agents to select the required smart action? or can i do this as a rule so its invisiable to the service desk team? Limitation of fields is not a problem has its only about 6 fields (have discovered the command line field restriction already!)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Matt,

The idea is to launch the smart action through UI rule when certain criteria is met. In your case create a ui rule that will be triggered when value is changed and Priority is 1. As action you can launch the smart action you've created earlier.

Also, it's a good practice to assign points to the answers in your questions (read http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28)
menes fhtagn
Matt Winter
Regular Contributor.

I will try as you suggest (fingers crossed) thanks for your prompt response.

Matt