Did you mean: 

Rule Categories question

Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Rule Categories question

Hi,

I'm running SD 4.5 SP17.

I use a lot of Rule categories to group the UI and DB rules, it makes them easier to find when they have to be modified etc.

The question is can I control the order in which the rule categories are displayed in the drop down list (code list), on the last screen of the rule definition wizard. (see screen shot attached).

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Rule Categories question

Hi Peter,

I was just going to reply that Rule category is an ordered code and so just adjust in Data>Codes>General>Rule Category when i noticed that my ordering is NOT waht is offered when I get to the last page of the rule wizard!

Sounds like a bug to me!

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

I'd not investigated ordering but have had a run-in with HP which you should be aware of.

Because the rules are held in a poorly (IMHO) designed REP_JAVAOBJECTS table there is no constraint between the rule and its category. Hence you can accidentally delete a category which is being used! If you do this it then becomes impossible to re-assign ANY category to this rule, you need to delete the rule and start again, COPY doesn't help. I raised BUG, HP said "tough".

You have been warned!
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Mike, that could save me a load of hassle, knowing that in advance.

I have lots and lots of rule categories, some of which I may be about to change.

Now that I'm using limit field value range by relations......

Points for that tip.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,
it is interesting that you have lots of categories because in 4.5 I had virtually given up on using them, as the system view was more use because you can see the order of obeying there.

Regards, Ruth

Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Ruth,

The reason for all the categories is that I have lots of rules, I mean lots, (hundreds).

So, keeping track of which rules do what requires the use of categories to group them.

I am reducing the number somewhat by the use of Generic Relationships to control what is displayed in the code lists on forms, (limit field range by relations).

Peter
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Ruth,

If you have many rules, grouping by rule category makes easier to locate them. Unfortunately HP didn't give us any tool either for easy finding or easy reordering of rules.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi George and Peter,

I do appreciate why you might use categories when you have lots of rules; it was just my opinion that I had not found them much help.

For the record, the technique I have used is to do print preview and publish, then search in resulting file to see approximate position in the system view of a specific rule.

Regards, Ruth
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event