Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Roles and Configuration Management

Highlighted
Ray Sutton_5
Frequent Contributor.

Roles and Configuration Management

I need to understand if we can create a role for a Config manager without giving Administrator or system access. I have a config team here who want to
New/change Models
New/change Make
New/change CI categories

I have tried all ways to make a role specific to a configuration manager but none of these seem to work. The only option is I think to use Data Exchange but as these are business related I can see some issues from our business units here who want to control these features. We are running 4.5 SP18 (soon SP21) Any information would be helpful here.

Thanks
Ray
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Roles and Configuration Management

Hello Ray,

In order to maintain Codes administrator privileges are required.

And since you've mentioned that you're going soon to SP21, have you tested it? Some people (including me) reported that SP21 is considerably slower than SP20.
menes fhtagn
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ray,

I would agree with you that it is a pain not being able to "devolve" code creation rights without giving too much access to your Config. Manager.

I have twice now implemented a work-around, you have to do a lot of set-up and testing but it can work. Imagine you want a role to create new MAKE codes. You need a custom field on CI called "New Make", a special CI form with just this field on it, a "generic" CI which you can modify, an import mapping to create a MAKE and then you can create an ACTION which calls SD_DATAFORM to throw up the special "one-field" form and modify the CI - then a DB rule fires to invoke SD_EVENT with the mapping and cause the CODE to be created! Fun eh?
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ray,

It might be possible to create categories without admin rights. However, it is often the case that the category is the basis of some business rule, which might effect the subform displayed, or the UI rule to trigger, or the custom field to enable. For all these cases (and others), you really do need admin rights.

Here is what we do. There is a person playing the role of configuration manager who simply creates an RfC when a config change to OVSD is required. The Change WO is assigned to the OVSD administrator, who guarantees the coherence of all updating to the OVSD configuration.

-Josh
Westcope
Contributor.

Sorry to just react to a reaction about performance loss in SP21!

This is interesting, but not good, news. In what way do you experience performance issues?
With all actions or just actions that require database communication? Can you compare the performance loss in relation to other servicepacks besides SP20 as well?

kind regards, Anoek