The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Name1 Field to 30 characters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Envoy2064
Super Collector

Restricting Name1 Field to 30 characters

Hi,
I'm following up my question from a previous thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1178117

about limiting the built-in field Name1 to 30 characters via creating two UI Rules. Ruth Porter created a solution to this problem via another thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171708&admit=109447626+1198872584274+28353475

But I have the following problems:

- Unable to follow the third step of UI rule 1: "Set custom numeric field to Count characters from Solution" (which would be Name1 in this case instead of Solution)

- Unable to follow the second and third step of UI rule 2: "Condition: custom numeric field less than 32" and "User notification message of type error, to tell user it is too short"

Specifically, I cannot find options in the HPSD UI rule wizard for these steps. Can anyone advice?

Any help will be appreciated!

5 REPLIES
Shivshankar Yad

Re: Restricting Name1 Field to 30 characters

HI Envoy;

Follow the steps - OR use the below link
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1198995723220+28353475&threadId=1156393

To check that the solution field has at least 30 characters:

Create custom field - Data >Custom Fields>Service Call; activate a number field and call it (for example length of solution)

Then have 2 UI rules:

1. When value changes, condition: NOT solution(*) is empty, action: data update length of solution set to function count characters from on field Solution.

2. When value changes, condition: length of solution(*) less than 30,
action: user notifcation message.

Regards
Shiva
OpenVIew
Envoy2064
Super Collector

thanks!! I got closer to the goal, but still have problems getting the function in rule 1 to be "count number of characters" from the Name1 field...I don't see that function in the functions list...

How can I get that count function?
Envoy2064
Super Collector

Actually, I got the first rule...but couldn't get the 3rd step of second rule (action: user notification)...which action type do I select in the action step of the wizard? Thanks!
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor
Solution

Depending on your Service Pack, the User Notification option is not available on "Value Change", only on "Before Save" UI Rules.
There was a trick you could use to do this up to about SP 20 (ie - make the rule Before Save, set up your user notification then save the rule, then re-open and change to "Value Change" and the User Notification options will still work). But around SP20 HP stopped that trick.
However, they have officially re-introduced the ability to use User Notifications on Value Change UI rules in SP24 I think.
So - if you are not SP24, you should make your rule a Before Save rule, then you'll see the User Notification as one of the command options.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Envoy2064
Super Collector

Thanks a lot! That solves the problem perfectly.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event