The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict a Configuration Manager to a Specific CI Category

Highlighted
Adam R
Occasional Contributor

Restrict a Configuration Manager to a Specific CI Category

Hello,
I am trying to create a role in SD 4.5 where certain users in our environment will have the ability to add, modify, and view CI’s in a certain category. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this, it seems to be I either give a user pretty much view/new/modify access to the entire CMDB, or none. I cant seem to find a way to restrict them to a particular category.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: Restrict a Configuration Manager to a Specific CI Category

Adam,

There is no good way to do this.

Theoretically, you can create a different folder for each category, and assign rights to those folders to a different role for each category. But that quickly becomes very hard to manage.

If you wanted to grant rights to only one user, then you could store that user in the CI, and then check if the current user is the same as that person. This, too, becomes an administrative nightmare.

Good luck,
-Josh
Dejan Perusic
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Restrict a Configuration Manager to a Specific CI Category

Hi
I haven't found a way to do this through Roles, but I have done it by attaching Views with category filters to specific Role. In this way users have a limited number of views that show only CIs with pre-set categories (We are using SD5.1)

Regards
DP
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event