The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict WorkGroup Assingment to those a person belongs to

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Restrict WorkGroup Assingment to those a person belongs to

Greetings friends!

Is it possible, via DB RULE, to restrict a WorkGrroup Assignment to only those Groups that a given person belongs to.

That is...If a person belongs to WorkGroups A nd B, he should only be able to assign Service Calls to said groups.

I was thinking something along the lines of a a rule that will either keep the current WKGRP assigment or display a message and not save the Service Call if the person isn't a member of the assigned group.

Wether or not such a thing is possible I do not know, however what is really bugging me is how to set up a condition that check if a person belongs or not to a given group.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Restrict WorkGroup Assingment to those a person belongs to

Hi there,

You cannot use membership of a work group as a trigger and it is also very difficult (if not impossible) to trigger on the "current" user.

However, if the person assigns the call to himself, then he will be offered only the work groups he belongs to.

Can I ask why this needs to be done and if is so critical that you have to get SD to do it rather than train the relevant staff?

Hope something here helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Hi there Ruth!

Basically its because of the size and dispersion of the IT staff in our country (Brazil).

We have 27 regional sectors, one for each state that operate independebtly of one another (so each has its own Network, Server, Workstation, System, sub-sections).

Each Sub-section has a person in charge who assigns the received SCs to the Technicians.

THe problem resides in the fact that because the Regional Sectors arenot directly under our control, and subsequentially neither are the people in charge of the sub-sections in each of the 27 sectors, by not restricting the Workgroups that these people in cahrge can assign to, a person from one sector can assign something to a Workgroup from a completely different sector.

We simply don't have the mapower or process maturity to properly monitor and audit workgroup assigments in the Regional Sectors.

If theings are kept "loose" the way they are, we risk having our SCs "ping-pong" their way all over the country because of people doing incorrect assignments.

I would like to reduce this risk seeing as we have over 400 WorkGroups, and 2200 Workgroup Supervisors.

I figure that it "might" be possible to create a rule that prevents a given type of person from assigning to a Workgroup that is not with its organization...

Another idea I had would be if the View that shows up when selecting teh WorkGroup through the Quickfind button was a view that showed only the Workgroups that the person was a member of, but haven't been able to figure out how to do so.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

I have a couple of ideas that I have not tried out myself.

You could look at using generic relationship between Workgroup and a custom code field on a person. Then you could use limit by relations on a UI rule to only offer the related workgroups.

To trigger the rule, you would need to capture the current user in a custom field when you open a SC.

Not sure if or how well this might work but good luck!

Ruth
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Ruth,

Thank you for the quick reply...I believe there is alreadya field that captures the current user on the Service Call.

How does one go about creating a Generic Relation?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there,

What version are you using? if 4.5 they came in SP 17 and are documented in itsm008088; if version 5, see the release notes

Hope this helps

Ruth

(PS some points would be nice!)
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Thanks Ruth...we are using SP18 and going to upgrade to SP22 in a short while...I'll have a look and see how it works out!
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

one other option is to have a rule that removes/blanks the assigned person value if it has not been set by a member of the same group.

Assign a call to Group A - Person A
If you are not a member fo Group A them the Person value will clear

That way only people of the same group can assign calls to members of their group. Otherwise the call will be assigned to the group only.
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Mark,

That's an interesting idea...how do you set up the rule?

Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Something like this may suit. If setting as a DB rule make sure Assigment to Person is not a mandatory field.

When support request is created
OR When support request is modified
where NOT (Assignment;Group;Code (*) is (exactly) Assignment From group Code)
AND NOT (Status (*) equals Closed)
AND NOT (Customer;Account (*) equals Assignment Member Account)
Blank Member (Update data) Assignment;Member set to (Make empty)
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Thanks for that udea Mark...I'll ask one of my people to test it out.

On a side note...is it possible to make only the To Workgroup field in the Assignment section Read Only?

I have tried going into the roles and the attribute list only shows Assignment as whole unit.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event