Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Restart Approval Cycle

Highlighted
Christine Perry
Super Contributor.

Restart Approval Cycle

Has anyone found a reliable way to restart the approval process? Here is my scenario.

On our Change requests, we use a date field named Shed Prod date. Based on that date there are three categories of changes - standard, emergency and blackout. A 'standard' category of change has 3 possible approvers; when the catgory is 'emergency' there is an additional approver; when the category is 'blackout' there is one more additional approver.

If the Sched Prod date changes while the approval status is 'Active' I need to restart the approval process. Normally I roll back the approval status to 'inactive' and the approval process restarts. I have the rule set to 'if the sched prod date changes... change approval status to inactive'. This works for the changes where the category (std, emerg, blkout) is changing. However, if the category isn't changing the rule doesn't fire.

Any suggestions are appreciated... I already have a lot of hours in this and have not found the answer.
4 REPLIES
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Restart Approval Cycle

Christine,

I'm a little confused?

You say the rule criteria is 'if the sched prod date changes' so what has it to do with the category?

Can you post a copy of the rule as it stands at the moment?
Christine Perry
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply! The sched prod date drives the category based on our change control calendar. It gets rather complicated because by the time I want this rule to fire, there are several key fields - Status; Category and Sched Prod Date. I want the rule to fire 1) if the status changes to Submit to Prod OR 2) if the category changes to Emergency OR 3) if the sched prod date changes.

If it is the first time the Change is making it to Submit to Prod status, the rule runs fine. If there are no approvers yet, the rule runs fine. However, if there are any approvers then this rule doesn't clear out the approval cycle. Thanks for your help. The rule is below.

Approval - Emergency Change Type No When a value has changed
where Status (*) equals Submit to Prod
AND Category (*) equals Emergency
AND Sched Prod Date (*) is anything update initiator (Update Data) Initiator set to (Current person); Temp Initiator set to [Entered by person Source ID],
set approval stat to inactive (Update Data) Approval;Approval Status set to Inactive,
set approval group to CRB Emrgncy (Update Data) Approval;Approval group set to CRB Emergency Approvers,
set approvers to 2 (Update Data) Approval;#Approvers Required set to 2,
set approval to Active (Update Data) Approval;Approval Status set to Active,
Reset Init (Update Data) Initiator set to [Entered by person]; Temp Initiator set to (Make empty)
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Hi,
If you do not want to keep category changes as criteria then remove the * after it, i.e. uncheck the box "evaluate this rule when this field has been changed".
This way you will put condition on the basis of category but that category need not changed for the rule to trigger.
Hope it solves the problem.
Regards,
Bhuvnesh
Christine Perry
Super Contributor.

Category is key - that also determines which approval group is chosen. In fact, all three criteria fields are key and I want the rule to fire when any of the three field changes to the qualified data. Thanks a bunch for your input.