Replacing string 255 with string 4000 in CI fields

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dusko Milosevic
Regular Collector

Replacing string 255 with string 4000 in CI fields

Hi all,

recently I receive request for change conserning the lenght of Remark field in CI. It is limited on 255 characters, and now it should be 4000 chatacters. I have to prolong the field without loosing the data inserted in previous usage of CI.

Thank you,

Dusko.
5 REPLIES
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Replacing string 255 with string 4000 in CI fields

Hi Dusko,

I had that request to and the solution is to hide the existing field. Use a Custom Field 4000. Put it on the form. And to be sure not to loose information create a temporary DB Rule that will copy the content of the 255 field to the 4000 field.

After this remove the DB Rule.

Hope this Helps,
Rgds,
Michel
Dusko Milosevic
Regular Collector

Please advice me how to create that "copy" rule... I couldnt find out how.

Thank you.

D.
Michel SILVA SO
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dusko,
it is a simple update Data DBRule which is triggered under certain circumstances that you decide.
The simple way is to create a DB Rule that copies the content from one field to another triggered on modify with no Condition.
Select the old Changes and user the "Update All" functionality to change one field. This will trigger your DB Rule and so populate the new field.

If you want to keep it that way just ensure to do it after work hours to do it alone on the DB.

I've no SD system under hand actually otherwise I would attach a screen shot.

Rgds,
Michel
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

create checkbox for CI and add it to the form.
Create a DB rule that says "when ci is modified and check box is true update data"

In the update data section set the new 4000k filed to a set value of and choose "Attribute" and the old value.

Set a second update data to set the check box back to emty (optional).

Then select all the CI's and update all setting the check box to true.
Dusko Milosevic
Regular Collector

Thank you all, solution works, even I had a lot of problems because I made some mandatory fields after personell made more than 2000 CI. That was the problem because every change on CI requires to fill the mandatory field...

Thx
Dusko.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event