Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Relation between Service Call and Incident

Highlighted
Geek
Super Contributor.

Relation between Service Call and Incident

Hi experts,

I wanted to know if there exists any relation between SC and Incident modules. How can we make particular rules like restricting user to save a SC without relating it to an Incident ticket.

Please help !

10 REPLIES
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Relation between Service Call and Incident

Hi Geek, happy new year to you and everyone.
Basically the Incident module is used to register hardware and software occurrences sent automatically by OPERATIONS as trouble tickets.
The SC module is used by Helpdesk to register Calls of users requiring support, service, information, etc
Rgds,
Rubem
Geek
Super Contributor.

Happy New year to you !

but actually I wanted to know if we could have relation between defined thru some way.
Or we could use one in relation to other to share some fields or check whether SC ticket is also related to Incident or not.

is there any document available for this ?
Geek
Super Contributor.

Happy New year to you !

but actually I wanted to know if we could have relation between them defined thru some way.
Or we could use one in relation to other to share some fields or check whether SC ticket is also related to Incident or not.

is there any document available for this ?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,
Happy New Year!

The relationship available between SC and incident is a many to many so there is little you can do as such relationships cannot be used as conditions for rules. Can you say a bit more about exactly what it is you want to do?

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Geek
Super Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

Actually I want the user to save an Incident ticket only If it has been related to a SC ticket. If a fresh Incident ticket is created and user has not related it to SC ticket then , he should not be able to save this Incident ticket.

Now the problem is how to check in the condition of the rule that a SC is related with Incident.
Is there any other way to achieve this??

please guide.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

You say "I want the user to save an Incident ticket only If it has been related to a SC ticket. If a fresh Incident ticket is created and user has not related it to SC ticket then , he should not be able to save this Incident ticket."

Unfortunately, I do not think you can do this using rules. You MIGHT be able to do something by coding using the web API but that is outside my area of expertise.

May I ask why this is so important? Can you use training and reporting after the event to detect any such SCs?

Regards, Ruth

PS please don't forget to assign some points!

Geek
Super Contributor.

Ok,

But can we use something like "Close All related Service Call" checkbox in Incident also, which is currently available only in Problem module??
This checkbox closes all the SC tickets automatically once the related Problem ticket is closed.
Geek
Super Contributor.

well i think using the functionality of "Close all related...." check box is bit an easy task by DB rules.

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

You are right - it is easy to do such close related by DB rules as such rules will not be upset if there are no related records. The thing that you cannot do is DETECT whether there are any related records

Regrads, Ruth
Geek
Super Contributor.

Ruth,

I am giving you points and I thank you for all your replies and patience,
but please if get any clue any time just help me out from this question.